Alternator Died.

Participant count
  • Participants list

Jake321

CarAudio.com Recruit
Hawaii
My Alternator is dead from my Sub.

Time to order a 130Amp high output alternator and a torque wrench from Amazon.

But how should I set up my system so the Alternator and Battery don't die premature?

Should I add another Battery, or Capacitor?

For a single:
3800 Watts Peak.

Thanks!

At least not too mention doing the big 3 as well in 1/0 ofc or welding wire. What amplifier, what subs would help everyone as well to determine the right alternator along with what vehicle, engine and model.

At least not too mention doing the big 3 as well in 1/0 ofc or welding wire. What amplifier, what subs would help everyone as well to determine the right alternator along with what vehicle, engine and model.

DD712 1ohm.
DD1500A AMP
Honda Odyssey LX V6 VTech.

But I'm probably going to upgrade to a Sub that uses 4,800 watts of continuous.
Something that weighs 60lb plus.

Or (2) DD712s.

Might as well upgrade to something that will stand the test of the eventual upgrade.

I've been running 3.2k on a single sub easily, so I'll share my setup. 1x Mechman 370, 1x XS D3400, big 3 (or just connect every metal surface you can find with 1/0) and...that's it. Had a single run of 1/0 going back to the SFB 5k with a 250A fuse and had no problems. System would bang right up to the clipping point. I'd say all you need is maybe a 250A alternator for 3k and you'll be 👌 (edit: Keep in mind this is all on music. If you're doing sine waves for whatever reason, you'll probably be bumping against that fuse rating).

Like you I'm planning to go up to 2 subs since I just got a good deal on another from ebay and that would put me at 5k. I just installed a second D3400 plus a second run of power (and ground) for the amp, as well as cleaned up the fusing with an SMD fuse block (would highly recommend), installed an isolator, digital volt meter, etc etc. A good quality super cap will probably be necessary to smooth out delivery since I saw tiny voltage drops at 3k max volume (that's max clean volume) when the bass would hit after silence. Sustained draw was no problem.

What size Alternator is needed to charge 2 Batteries?

My guess is 250.

Let's say I installed the 250 Amp Alternator.

What's the common life expectancy of Alternators with aftermarket systems in general?

Last edited:
It should last 10 years.
Unless you are constantly cranking the bass up to the max.
Do the big 3 in 1/0 wire, and have a solid battery or two and keep an eye on your voltage.

I have a 3k amp with a 60A fuse and it hasn't popped in the 1.5 years I've owned it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...