Alternative to Sundown SA 12's

Boulevardvette

Im wanting to sell my SA's and try something different. The SA's have gotten hot on me a couple of times so Im wanting something with a little better thermal handling. The subs are in a Fox Acoustics dual 12 box under the back seat in my 2013 Ram crew cab. The box is tuned to 35hz with 1.55 cubic feet per sub. The main draw back of the box is it has a 7.25" mounting depth with a 6.5" magnet. I want something with a 3" coil, 1000 watts rms and under in a d4. They will be pushed with a Crescendo S1500.1 which DroppinHZ dynoed at just under 1900 watts rms dynamic at 1ohm. These are the subs I am looking at so far please let me know what you think or add any more that you know of. Thanks!

DC Audio level 3

FI X12

RE SEXv2

PSI level 1

Stereo Integrity Mag V3 (if i can find some)

SSA GCON (really like these but not sure of mounting depth)

If your sa subs are getting hot I'd say look at your amp settings first sounds like your clipping them hard to get the sound you want. Also the box may be to small for them and most on the list

I have set the gain with the peizo tweeter method and then set it to 1500 rms with the dmm. They havent gotten hot since then but the output just isnt what I want. The Sundown are within the specs for a ported box. Some of these subs do call for a bigger box, what problems would it cause to put them a slightly smaller box?

I have set the gain with the peizo tweeter method and then set it to 1500 rms with the dmm. They havent gotten hot since then but the output just isnt what I want. The Sundown are within the specs for a ported box. Some of these subs do call for a bigger box, what problems would it cause to put them a slightly smaller box?
You won't get the output you want

Well there is not much airspace when putting a box under your rear seat. Im going back and looking for subs that will work in 1.55 cubic feet of airspace there are not many out there besides JL, Fosgate, you regular store brands. Anybody have any suggestions?

Well there is not much airspace when putting a box under your rear seat. Im going back and looking for subs that will work in 1.55 cubic feet of airspace there are not many out there besides JL, Fosgate, you regular store brands. Anybody have any suggestions?
They only list 1.5 for sales.

might aswell sell the 12s, get some brackets made that mount to the baffle of the box, and run a pair of 10s
This is not a bad idea, i would just have to raise the seat a little more because right now the subs are recessed into the box. If I ran a 3/4" mdf adapter the excursion would be way higher than before.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.