Alternative to Sundown SA 12's

i forgot about the HO 12s. They are excellent small box subs but if you are after subs with a better thermal handling compared to the SA's, then the Dayton's are a downgrade
Well crap. Im waiting to hear back from SSA on the enclosure recommendations of the GCON, if thats a no go looks like I will be going to 10's.

op your clipping them... i got a pair of SA 10's wired down to .5 ohms on a AT 1200.1 (same amp as ct sounds 1400.1)

they dont even get warm!!!

and the box is SMALL for them!! my 10's are in lil over 3 cuft after displacement and ports... tuned to 34hz

op your clipping them... i got a pair of SA 10's wired down to .5 ohms on a AT 1200.1 (same amp as ct sounds 1400.1)they dont even get warm!!!

and the box is SMALL for them!! my 10's are in lil over 3 cuft after displacement and ports... tuned to 34hz
Like I said earlier the gain is properly set now and I am not happy with the output, that why Im looking for something different.

I say clipping but u say your not so ok just never seen sa coils get hot with such lil power ur running..... Why not keep the sa's and just raise the rear seats a inch or 2 or 3??? Simple to do and would allow for a larger enclosure...

Like I said earlier the gain is properly set now and I am not happy with the output, that why Im looking for something different.
you have a GREAT set of subs.. just put them in proper box and your next thread will talking about how we were right and your extremely happy now!!! lol

Yes, as everyone else has said that box is very tiny for that size of 12". I run my SA-12s in a just a bit over 2 cubes each. Also, you ARE clipping them. Your gains may be set right, but you may also not have the electrical for that 1500 causing voltage drops and inducing clipping. There are a great many people that run 1-1.5k a piece on the SA series with no thermal issues (I don't recommend this unless you really know what you're doing though).

If anything I would highly suggest the going with 2 10" idea.

Yes, as everyone else has said that box is very tiny for that size of 12". I run my SA-12s in a just a bit over 2 cubes each. Also, you ARE clipping them. Your gains may be set right, but you may also not have the electrical for that 1500 causing voltage drops and inducing clipping. There are a great many people that run 1-1.5k a piece on the SA series with no thermal issues (I don't recommend this unless you really know what you're doing though).
If anything I would highly suggest the going with 2 10" idea.
I do agree the few times the subs got hot on me that they were getting a clipped signal. Now that I set the gain properly they have not gotten hot, while they do sound good I just feel like I can get a little more if I find a sub that is better suited for this box or just go to a set of 10's. My electrical consist of a 1000ca 850cca 140ah agm battery stock 180amp alternator big 4 all Knukoncepts 0 guage. My voltage at idle is around 14.5 and never drops under 13.3 or so even on hard bass hits, so electrical is not a problem.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.