alt fried?

Participant count
  • Participant list
my friend just jump started me and everything was working when i was still connected to his battery. as in the speedometer etc. once i got off his battery. my battery read 7 volts

does this mean the alt of batt is the problem?

my friend just jump started me and everything was working when i was still connected to his battery. as in the speedometer etc. once i got off his battery. my battery read 7 volts
does this mean the alt of batt is the problem?
What does your batt read when the car is off? If it's reading 12V then it's definitely the alt.

alright. so no place around here will install alts....so im juss gonna have to do it myself. will i need any additional parts to instal a new one?

that would keep it from charging the battery, then under the load of starting it, or even the load of the dome lights it'll drop to where it is.
No I was thinking more like, the alternator's regulator was actively dragging down the voltage, like an internal short or something.

alright. so no place around here will install alts....so im juss gonna have to do it myself. will i need any additional parts to instal a new one?
Make sure the new alt comes with a new pulley (you'll never get the old one of the old alt). The only other thing you may need is a new serpentine belt if the new pulley is drastically sized differently then the old.

Make sure the new alt comes with a new pulley (you'll never get the old one of the old alt). The only other thing you may need is a new serpentine belt if the new pulley is drastically sized differently then the old.
i take old pulleys off daily bro. its really not that much work. now if your saying for him its a challenge to get the old pulley off then yeah. but most newer aged alts come ready to go pulleys installed.

i take old pulleys off daily bro. its really not that much work. now if your saying for him its a challenge to get the old pulley off then yeah. but most newer aged alts come ready to go pulleys installed.
Yeah, HE will never get it off. When I bought an HO alt from Knu it didn't come with a new pulley and we tried for hours to get the old one off the old alt. It was a mess, my car ended up being laid up for days while we waited for a new pulley.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

09civic

5,000+ posts
CarAudio.com Veteran
09civic
Melbourne, FL
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date