alt fried?

Participant count
  • Participant list

09civic
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
so tonight, i was driving at full tilt and i see my battery light go on. i never noticed it before so i turned my music down just be safe. i stop at my frends house to pick him up but never shut the car off. so were goin and my car is shifting hard into their gears(its automatic btw). so i get to a red light and when it turns green i hit the gas like normal but i car is slowwwllyy accelerate. now by this time my speedometer and rpm's are not reading at all. they both say zero. i would put the pedal to the floor and the car would slowlyy accelerate. so i pull off to the side of the road and open the hood. i see that my ground from chassis to engine block came out of the ring terminal. so im guessing i killed my alt without knowing it? i went to go try to start the car and it wouldn't. i take my dmm to the battery and it reads 12.0. i had someone jump start me and when i go to accelerate, same thing happens. car will barely accelerate no electronics are working in the car. the blinker would but it was very slow and faint. is it time for a new alt?

dont think your alt is fried... you said the solution to your problem yourself... if your engine block isnt grounded, alot of your management systems wont work properly (i.e. speedo, tach, accelerator, fuel injection, so on and so on)

dont think your alt is fried... you said the solution to your problem yourself... if your engine block isnt grounded, alot of your management systems wont work properly (i.e. speedo, tach, accelerator, fuel injection, so on and so on)
well i have all the stock wiring already there. i just added on zero gauge.

so your big 3 ground is what came out of the ring? if so, just do the standard test.... get it running, pull the positive terminal off your battery... if it dies, its your alt.. if not, its your batt

alright i will tmrw. i just dont understand how i could done this with my setup cuz im only pushing 600-700 watts and my stock electrical should do that.

alright i will tmrw. i just dont understand how i could done this with my setup cuz im only pushing 600-700 watts and my stock electrical should do that.
That's definitely odd, but I don't know what the implications of the 1/0 ground coming undone are.

a dead battery would explain the wierd acceleration and speedometer not working?
its not likely... but could happen... depending on the car. (not sure what you got) ... pontiacs are notorious for those types of issues... i doubt it is your battery, cuz you said u tested it at 12v, and for it to affect the accessories and management systems on your car, you'd have to be running down below 7-8v ... but, thats why i said to pull the positive... will tell you for sure if your alt is shot... if your car dies immediately once you pull it, its shot. if nothing happens... get your battery tested for a bad cell (which i doubt, but you always want to remove the simplest solutions first when trouble shooting)... from there, you'd have to take it to a shop, cuz it would be alot more trouble shooting than could be done online

Something's definitely wrong. I'd take the time to do the test, whose answer would tell you what's wrong, rather than asking rhetorical questions.
or actually trying to give an answer, instead of just saying "something is definately wrong" ... thank you captain obvious

That's definitely odd, but I don't know what the implications of the 1/0 ground coming undone are.
there are none... his original post just said that his engine block ground came loose.. thats the only reason i suggested it...

or actually trying to give an answer, instead of just saying "something is definately wrong" ... thank you captain obvious
*slow clap*

You're so intelligent. Thank you for your vast insight. I told him to do the test, did I not? That's enough of an answer for me. Also, next time you try to quote something, maybe try to include proper grammar. Thank you, Captain Complete Moron.

To your other post(because I'm too lazy to quote it too), like I said, I didn't know the implications. I didn't say there were any. Trying to call me out on saying something stupid isn't really working here, bro. Maybe you should go troll somewhere else.

bro... go get some vagisil... your the one who had to try to say some ish to me first... how bout YOU go troll somewhere else... where you can actually be useful

bro... go get some vagisil... your the one who had to try to say some ish to me first... how bout YOU go troll somewhere else... where you can actually be useful
Heh... I think your ignorance has misguided you. Where, in any of my posts, other than the one in which I quoted you, did I try to say some shit to you? Both of my posts were directed at the OP(just so we're clear, saturn95 started the thread -- not you).

I'm pretty sure I know which part you mistook for some kind of insult toward you, and I'm sorry for that. Your ape-like tendencies must make you do some pretty stupid things. The rhetorical comment was a direct response to the post I quoted, in which saturn95(again, he's the OP) said something along the lines of, "A dead battery could do this?" rather than taking the few minutes to do the test you spoke of, assuming he had access to someone with jumper cables or another car, etc., to start his car again.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

09civic

5,000+ posts
CarAudio.com Veteran
09civic
Melbourne, FL
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date