Already Time for an Upgrade

Participant count
  • Participant list
Status
Not open for further replies.

cemidd

In my 09 G37 sedan I have the Audiobahn ABB121J (dual port box, single 12', 400W RMS) powered by a class D Elf Audio Amp (I think it's the 800x1@2Ohms) with a capacitor. I would like to keep the Audiobahn box because I love the look and clean sound I get with dual ports. I would also like to keep the amp simply because I paid $300 for it and don't have any problems with it. The part I want to replace is the 12' subwoofer. I am very dissatisfied with the power because I really want a hard thump, and not just the clean sounding hit that it delivers. I've found 2 fairly priced good quality subs on amazon: the Pioneer Champion TS-W3002D4 12' ($121) and the Power Acoustik MOFO dual 2ohm 12' ($128). An audio junkie friend of mine said I should go with a dual 2 Ohm, but the Pioneer (D4) is a Dual 4Ohm. Is that going to be a problem? And which of the 2 subs would you recommend (if not one of the 2 I'm open to suggestions as long as they're reasonably priced)?

I found a Pioneer Champ TS-W3002D2 for the same price on amazon, but strangely enough the 2D4 has better reviews. The 2D2 has reviews claiming the sub will easily blow under very low wattage, this is weird because the 2D4 has incredible reviews and says nothing about the sub blowing at all

In my 09 G37 sedan I have the Audiobahn ABB121J (dual port box, single 12', 400W RMS) powered by a class D Elf Audio Amp (I think it's the 800x1@2Ohms) with a capacitor. I would like to keep the Audiobahn box because I love the look and clean sound I get with dual ports. I would also like to keep the amp simply because I paid $300 for it and don't have any problems with it. The part I want to replace is the 12' subwoofer. I am very dissatisfied with the power because I really want a hard thump, and not just the clean sounding hit that it delivers. I've found 2 fairly priced good quality subs on amazon: the Pioneer Champion TS-W3002D4 12' ($121) and the Power Acoustik MOFO dual 2ohm 12' ($128). An audio junkie friend of mine said I should go with a dual 2 Ohm, but the Pioneer (D4) is a Dual 4Ohm. Is that going to be a problem? And which of the 2 subs would you recommend (if not one of the 2 I'm open to suggestions as long as they're reasonably priced)?
If you are going to use the same box, the you should run the sub it was designed for. The port tuning and box size has more to do with the sound you seek than the drivers. If you are looking for an improvement, look to better quality, not more of the same. And when you decide on what sub you want, you built the appropriate box for said sub.

My suggestion is save a couple more $20's and get you a sub that will take the 1200watts that amp claims to make:

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/imperium-audio-designs/553874-*3-1-000rms-under-200%24*-imperium-audio-designs-reign-pre-order-thread.html

and the right box for it:

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/dc-creations/544987-official-new-pricing.html

I found a Pioneer Champ TS-W3002D2 for the same price on amazon, but strangely enough the 2D4 has better reviews. The 2D2 has reviews claiming the sub will easily blow under very low wattage, this is weird because the 2D4 has incredible reviews and says nothing about the sub blowing at all
LOL @ people clipping the **** out of their "1 ohm stable" amps and blowing up the D2 ohm version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...