alpine Vs polk

Sorry, I'm not as technically apt in the sound space as others on here. I was trying to give my opinion on the speakers (as that's the best I can offer beyond him hearing himself or reading the speaker specs).
To further elaborate my statements, the Polks seemed much more capable of lower and mid frequencies and the alpines seemed to be lacking here. This made the high freqs seem more dominant and lead to a more hollow sound to me. The highs in the spr seemed more harsh to the smooth highs of the mm not sure how to technically explain this.

The alpines seemed quite capable of getting loud but personally didn't feel the desire to take them there, whereas the Polks I gladly and comfortably wanted to get them cranking.
that was a big improvement! good job! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsup.gif.3287b36ca96645a13a43aff531f37f02.gif

The alpines seemed quite capable of getting loud but personally didn't feel the desire to take them there, whereas the Polks I gladly and comfortably wanted to get them cranking.
I've been looking at the mm6501s for a while, how much power are you giving them, and what version are you using. Component or coax?

Last edited by a moderator:
SO the lack of mids bass in the alpines are true... and by just running mids in the back you mean comps with out the tweeter? im looking at the mm6501 but saw they are at 2.7 ohms ;( i was looking for 4 to match my b2 amp ill be buying

No tweeters in back, correct.
funny ha this was my original idea, ill trust you guys though, now should i get the same comps for the front and back? or mix it up a little bit between? and maybe help me find a pair that can handle the b2 quarrto? and if it matters i listen to really fast passed DnB and dubstep, with a little rap, reggae, and metal, almost anything found if you youtube "excision shambhala 2014" haha

You dn't need another component set for the back. Just use midbass drivers.

No sense in buying comps if you aren't going to use the tweeters.

Also, I don't even run a rear stage. You don't need it, imo.

I've been looking at the mm6501s for a while, how much power are you giving them, and what version are you using. Component or coax?
I went with component. Giving them 150wrms@2ohm ( /100wrms@4ohm) ea from the amp.

As they rate at 125@2.7 ohm it suits them well.

SO the lack of mids bass in the alpines are true... and by just running mids in the back you mean comps with out the tweeter? im looking at the mm6501 but saw they are at 2.7 ohms ;( i was looking for 4 to match my b2 amp ill be buying
What does the b2 amp put out? I'm not familiar with them here in aus but after a quick google, I assume you're using their 4ch amp (as you mentioned putting in rears), which put out 150@2ohms. This would be spot on for the MMs.

I went with component. Giving them 150wrms@2ohm ( /100wrms@4ohm) ea from the amp.As they rate at 125@2.7 ohm it suits them well.

What does the b2 amp put out? I'm not familiar with them here in aus but after a quick google, I assume you're using their 4ch amp (as you mentioned putting in rears), which put out 150@2ohms. This would be spot on for the MMs.

B2s put out a lot more power than they are rated for.

I went with component. Giving them 150wrms@2ohm ( /100wrms@4ohm) ea from the amp.As they rate at 125@2.7 ohm it suits them well.

Thats the correct one, but i dont wanna blow a good pair of speakers you know so hopefully someone can help me do this.... im willing to speand around 400$ for the 2 pairs of speakers maybe a bit more if needed

Thats the correct one, but i dont wanna blow a good pair of speakers you know so hopefully someone can help me do this.... im willing to speand around 400$ for the 2 pairs of speakers maybe a bit more if needed
From my understanding & experience you're not going to blow them unless you push them way too hard. And with a quality powerful speaker its not likely you will be. 150wrms@2ohms would work out to about 125@2.7 which is spot on. Jeffdachef says they put out more than they're rated for too so you should be well in the clear. More power is deff not a bad thing, would be wasted if you get the lower end speakers.

I would get the Polk mm6501 components up the front and take the advice of adulbrich. if you really want rears then spend the rest of your $400 budget on what you can get.

From my understanding & experience you're not going to blow them unless you push them way too hard. And with a quality powerful speaker its not likely you will be. 150wrms@2ohms would work out to about 125@2.7 which is spot on. Jeffdachef says they put out more than they're rated for too so you should be well in the clear. More power is deff not a bad thing, would be wasted if you get the lower end speakers.
I would get the Polk mm6501 components up the front and take the advice of adulbrich. if you really want rears then spend the rest of your $400 budget on what you can get.
thats true huh? i didnt consider that it wont be pushing full power 24/7. ill probably go with those polks because i read good things, and ill probably go with the back as well minus the tweets, unless i can find just midbass drivers i like

anyone wanna direct me to some midbass drivers thatll fit this set up nicely?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I have the Alpine SPS-610c and SPS-510 and they are over rated. On the box they came in is says they can handle 80 watts RMS but in reality its more like 40-50 watts. So just beware alpine overrates their products!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.