alpine Vs polk

brafferty

CarAudio.com Elite
idaho
so i found a pair of coax speakers thatll handle 100rms sent to them, and these are the alpine spR-60's, which i am for sure going with, now i was advised recently to go to polk db 6501 instead of the componet version of these alpines, beacause they have a better frequency range, but i feel like it would be better to match the speaker sets no? anyone personally try out both sets here?

As a whole, I like Alpine more than Polk. Have I used lower end coaxials in my car? No.
ive personally only ever went alpine, used i believe type E series and the type s, but i wanna get louder and sound good as well, im just worried cause ive heard the type r's dont have good mid bass, which is what they will be used for, the subs will be doing all the bass

I've definitely been more impressed with Alpine products. I've heard the E, S, and R series from Alpine. I don't know which series from polk, but I've heard speakers and a sub. The new Polk 6x9's I heard were unimpressive

The polk mm6501's have pretty good reviews, never heard them personally so take that as you wish.

they're really pretty close, start talking about component speaker sets in a higher price range and we'll have a different discussion..

I very recently was comparing between the alpine spr & db6501 (components though).

IMO the Polks sound better, but I ended up increasing my budget and going for the mm6501. The difference is incredible! (Even compared to other speakers in this price range from focal / jl).

Nice rich full sound compared to the spr which felt quite high pitched and loud but with no real oomph or depth.

I'll probably be installing them in my ride this weekend, possibly next.

I very recently was comparing between the alpine spr & db6501 (components though).IMO the Polks sound better, but I ended up increasing my budget and going for the mm6501. The difference is incredible! (Even compared to other speakers in this price range from focal / jl).

Nice rich full sound compared to the spr which felt quite high pitched and loud but with no real oomph or depth.

I'll probably be installing them in my ride this weekend, possibly next.
Can you please not use open ended descriptions that does not give people any sense of actual frequency response or performance. When you say rich and full, do you mean there is nothing lacking in the midrange/midbass or is there lot more detail with the highs? High pitched as in what part of the frequency spectrum is peaking? I know the type Rs are heavy on the 2khz range and without proper tuning/processing, can get a lil heavy in the 6khz range and lacking in the lower midrange/midbass.

Can you please not use open ended descriptions that does not give people any sense of actual frequency response or performance. When you say rich and full, do you mean there is nothing lacking in the midrange/midbass or is there lot more detail with the highs? High pitched as in what part of the frequency spectrum is peaking? I know the type Rs are heavy on the 2khz range and without proper tuning/processing, can get a lil heavy in the 6khz range and lacking in the lower midrange/midbass.
Sorry, I'm not as technically apt in the sound space as others on here. I was trying to give my opinion on the speakers (as that's the best I can offer beyond him hearing himself or reading the speaker specs).

To further elaborate my statements, the Polks seemed much more capable of lower and mid frequencies and the alpines seemed to be lacking here. This made the high freqs seem more dominant and lead to a more hollow sound to me. The highs in the spr seemed more harsh to the smooth highs of the mm not sure how to technically explain this.

The alpines seemed quite capable of getting loud but personally didn't feel the desire to take them there, whereas the Polks I gladly and comfortably wanted to get them cranking.

I was going to do comps in the front and coax in the back, since that seems to be the go to i see and hear?
Just use mids in the back. You want your stage to be in the front. Coaxials will produce high frequencies and draw your stage backwards.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.