Alpine Vs JL

Audiostatus.it from Lithuania

Last edited:
the stegs are also paper cone. I'm super concerned about using paper cones and their durability. I'm not looking to replace everything again in couple of years. The car will be parked every winter in a somewhat dry garage aswell, at way-below-zero celsius temperatures. Would not be a nice surprise to come back to it next spring, start radio and have speakers blow up cus they got wet,cold, moldy, whatever.

Well, turns out I can't go much deeper than 63mm installation depth which means most of what's been proposed is out the window.
Funnily enough
c2-650 and alpine r-s650.c still fit also
hertz Mille Pro MPK165.3 might fit
JBL Stadium GTO 600C fit but they are 3 Ohm so they will probably not play without amp
And these 4 are basically all that's available in my budget in my country.

Out of the brands you listed I like Morel, I've ran them in my last few rigs and thought they sound great.
I just pulled a pair out of my daily that have been installed 9 years and still sound and look great..

With that said, I wouldn't fork out alot of cash unless you are gonna be using a amp and know how to properly install your speakers you will be using.

I like the morels aswell, if the documentation right they might even fit.
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-eCrbXQYgrdH/p_210TU602/Morel-Tempo-Ultra-602.html says
  • woofer mounting depth: 2-11/16"
Which is, like 68mm?
But amazon says 65 and morel own documentation says 64. I know for a fact 63 fits my car, not sure if more than that.
So is crutchfield credible source or not really, as this will impact if I throw away 250+ USD or not.

Also the amp question is in the air, the shop who is selling those morels, says and I quote " behind a regular head unit [i have ute200bt] they will play fine, just about to 70% of their ability"
I'm not sure how that works, considering headunit is rated for 4x50 MAX power, not RMS and morels have RMS at like 110 and max 200+.

I never really installed a amp and because the battery is in the trunk I imagine this whole wiring will be complicated, uncomfortable and expensive. (100+W amps are quite close to the morel's own price)

I think its either
a) buy morels and run them off the headunit ( morels cost as same as JL c2 650), possibly one day in the future buy an amp for them
b) buy JL and just install it, plug and play and forget about it.
c) buy something else, even cheaper, plug and play and forget about it
Don't know which one makes more sense.

I'm gonna suggest you save and get the JL Audio C3s. I've had both and the difference between the C2's and C3's is pretty astronomical. If you wanna go less budget I had the Hertz CK's and they sounded amazing for around $350 which I'd go with over the Alpine.

for around 350$ its either jl c3-600 or c3-650, I figure bigger is better, 1mm installation depth difference, possibly will even fit. The car doors handle 63mm 100% certainty, anything beyond that will be a gamble.

Interesting about Hertz. CK are cheaper than the MPK's. MPK's (165.3) about 200-250 usd and CK's are about 150 USD.

CPK's are over 65mm depth, I think this will start to be an issue.

So considering I have limited space, c3 will MAYBE fit and hertz will definitely fit, still got for c3's? Also, I see that c3's have lower rms so will probably play better without an amp than hertzes.

for around 350$ its either jl c3-600 or c3-650, I figure bigger is better, 1mm installation depth difference, possibly will even fit. The car doors handle 63mm 100% certainty, anything beyond that will be a gamble.

Interesting about Hertz. CK are cheaper than the MPK's. MPK's (165.3) about 200-250 usd and CK's are about 150 USD.

CPK's are over 65mm depth, I think this will start to be an issue.

So considering I have limited space, c3 will MAYBE fit and hertz will definitely fit, still got for c3's? Also, I see that c3's have lower rms so will probably play better without an amp than hertzes.
Not sure where you are shopping at but I need the info. JL Audio C3's are $600 on the average and Hertz CK's are about $380 average.

OP...wasn't clean on the amp

Absolutely run an amp to whatever speakers you buy. There is such a fine line on running better speakers than stock speakers without additional power when it comes to getting better sound or sounding worse. You can find used amps even for a couple hundred bucks.

Shopping at local vendors ( 2 for the whole country ), Im from Estonia so...not going to help you much, hence all my issues with people offering stegs and polks and whatever else. Simply not available to me.
I'd like to get an amp only If I want to improve sound I will get from straight speaker swap.
As I said, car has quite **** acoustics (frameless windows, diesel engine, crappy overall soundproofing) and only 63mm depth for speakers ( File attached).
On previous car, identical model I ran c1 JL's and was quite happy, I just expect diminishing returns here with investing over 300USD. The overall car acoustics won't allow for something "good" anyway.
So thats why I have this whole issue.
I look now and morel tempo ultra 602 cost exactly as much as JL c2-650 here.
Morels 64 mm and C2 are 62mm. C3 are 65mm. 260 USD, 260 USD, 350 USD respectively.
Hertz prices also attached.

Attachments

• 279890966_423369779630116_8391395370849147401_n.png
    279890966_423369779630116_8391395370849147401_n.png
    335 KB · Views: 18
  • 2022-05-08 21_18_39-Komponentkõlarid.png
    2022-05-08 21_18_39-Komponentkõlarid.png
    26.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 2022-05-08 21_19_00-Komponentkõlarid.png
    2022-05-08 21_19_00-Komponentkõlarid.png
    73.9 KB · Views: 22
I wouldn't worry so much about "paper" cones. Pulp/paper is still by far the most common material used in loudspeaker cones because it's very good for the job as far as being light and rigid. All things equal, your suspension (surround and spider) are always going to be a weaker link than your cone body and even a 200$ component set should give you 8-10 years good service life barring gross abuse.

I think then all signs point to Tempo Ultra 602.
260 USD VS 340 USD (c3) and C3 might not even fit. For the price of c3's I can get morels AND an amp for them.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...