Alpine Vs JL

speakerman88

CarAudio.com Newbie
Estonia
Hi folks
I have problem selecting 16.5mm components for my car and I figured that the best place to ask is car audiphile forum :)
Story:
Car : bmw e46 coupe ( frameless windows, diesel, not much sound isolation, small interior volume + separate trunk ). From factory, they have installed absolute trash FoMoCo speakers...
2 Years ago I bought jl c1-650, with no amp or anything like that and I felt content.
Now I have another e46 coupe and I want to buy new speakers. I don't want to splurge stupid amount of money because of car specifics listed above, I doubt you can/should get some award winning sound in such a car anyway. So I have two options I'm looking it. Alpine, R-S65C.2 vs JL Audio C2-650 .
Alpine on paper - more power and around 70$ cheaper. I've been told by SHOP2 that these are defenitely better than JL's because of power.
JL audio - i've been told by a SHOP1 that they are much better, much better tweeters, mid and highs are going to be infinitely better and I should compensate by using sub's or bass speakers.

I'd appreciate any kind of input :)

I do not care for either choices you have made. If I had to place a set of Name Stream speakers with or without an amplifier, I believe these would serve so much better for the price range and do quite well. I myself would buy and place a minimum of a 125x2 @ 4 Ohm amplifier on them to serve justice.

Amp for the components Id recommend
Speakers with a little door treatment set

Last edited:
Hmm, well, that would be a good choice but unfortunately I am unable to find that model of polk in my country, or much of polk at all to be honest.
Also the point is to obviously get best bang for a buck, and well, I was satisfied with c1 for 150$ 2 years ago so the point was kindof, to determine if I need its possible to get improvement over that without breaking the budget of c2's

Hmm, well, that would be a good choice but unfortunately I am unable to find that model of polk in my country, or much of polk at all to be honest.
Also the point is to obviously get best bang for a buck, and well, I was satisfied with c1 for 150$ 2 years ago so the point was kindof, to determine if I need its possible to get improvement over that without breaking the budget of c2's
Might look at some Infinity Kappas. Those would be another choice Id recommend

Haha, these are also not very available in car speaker form in this country 😅. We mostly have alpine, pioneer, jl, rockford, focal, mac, jvc, kenwood, dls, german maestro, ground zero, herz, vibe, jbl, audison, morel. Thats pretty much the whole choice I have unless I am willing to order online, from some external vendors, meaning issues with warranty, possibly.
But can I ask what do you base your choice on? Personal experience ? Speaker/tweeter material? Power?

Haha, these are also not very available in car speaker form in this country 😅. We mostly have alpine, pioneer, jl, rockford, focal, mac, jvc, kenwood, dls, german maestro, ground zero, herz, vibe, jbl, audison, morel. Thats pretty much the whole choice I have unless I am willing to order online, from some external vendors, meaning issues with warranty, possibly.
But can I ask what do you base your choice on? Personal experience ? Speaker/tweeter material? Power?
Not much of any speaker serves real justice without door treatment, placement and amplified power from my personal experience with exception of a set of Polk Audio DB coax and a set of older Hertz Energy coax. off of HU power.. I look for the Highest DB level speaker, 35 HTZ and up, and Power rating RMS as well as materials involved generally.

the last 3 and focal are decent, the rest are meh, at best

the only thing ive seen alpine do well is the type r subs.... otherwise, i cant stand the natural sound of alpine. just way too harsh.... so of the 2, id go with the jl. i have to second the suggestion of jbl/infinity lines. the infinities will have a more full substage about them, but both(being from the same manufacturer/assembly line) are decently efficient and clean for the price point

So from your suggestions I've selected these ones to consider:
Audison, Prima APK 165P - reviews and sound samples of this don't seem too mpressive
JBL, Stadium GTO 600C - not many good reviews out there
Morel, Tempo Ultra 602 - Looks good on reviews but I've never heard of Morel to be honest.
Focal PS 165F - good review on crutchfield, local shop said they are about same with JL c2-650s though
Also 140W max. (only?) Alternatively Focal PS 165 V1

I think morel will 100% want external amp while focals would run good enough off the HU?
I'm not looking to upgrade rear speakers just yet (maybe in future with coaxials if required) and I will not be doing any kind of special speaker relocation inside the vehicle, with that I know I'm not getting the best any speakers could give me, of course, thats why I'm more on the low-middle end of selection.

Last edited:
I've always liked JBL myself. They should perform very well against anything else in their price point (compare 300$ set of JBL vs. 300$ set of anything else). JBL/Infinity is the same company and largely the same product with different logo. I've had great success with everything JBL/Harmon/Infinity/Crown.

That said, I've liked JL and Alpine type R in the past, though I would avoid the low level JL products, they are not very good. Someone posted here recently that current generation Alpine type R is not as good as the old ones (that I have liked) so use your discretion there and it would probably be best if you could listen to them yourself in-person at your local shops.

For me, I have found that typically a 100$ set will sound like a 100$ set and a 300$ set will sound like a 300$ set and a 600$ and up set will all be about the same across all reputable brands. In comparing brands it is important to compare comparable price points and then from there, once you're into the middle ground in product lines it will all be just personal preference as anything that you'd buy (here in USA) for the 250-300$ and up price range should all be able to sound very nice with good mounting locations and proper crossover.

the last 3 and focal are decent, the rest are meh, at best

Are you saying hertz is meh?

Just asking for clarification.

Hertz, German maestro, audison, focal, and morel are all good brands in the "high" tier market.

From my experience, each of these brands has a distinctive sound profile. No real way to quantify it, but here is how I would explain it. These are just explanations, not for or against judgments. Hant had a ton of listening time on the maestro or morel, not many people around me run them.

Focal is more "clinical" sounding.
Maestro is very reminiscent of the 90's sound. Very "alive" and bright.
Morel is more neutral sounding IMO
Hertz is detailed, but can be "harsh" without some EQ
Audison is kinda a mix of Hertz and Focal. Their thesis line is phenomenal, but crazy expensive.

Matt

Hmm, thanks everyone for input
I was about to pull the trigger on Morel Tempo Ultra 602 but turns out, it's a paper cone.
Isn't that a sign of not-so-good product? Considering they are more expensive than the JL's even, and you get paper?
Is that a concern I should have with these speakers?
Alternatively I was thinking about Focal 165AS3 but I worry about fitment and bad reviews on tweeters
Hetzner MP 165.3 PRO are anotherset i was looking at, but thats also paper :(

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...