Alpine Type X 10" on an AP1500.1....Opinions?

Participant count
  • Participant list

MagicOnTheTire
10+ year member

Okay, so I have been playing around with options/set up's in my daily recently.

I purchased two Type X 1042d's locally on Craigslist and sold one on eBay. (My ultimate goal is a single, beefy 10 or 12 with sql, I had been looking on here/ebay/and CL and just happened to jump on the local deal, and ended up getting a nice price for the Type X sold on eBay) I know there are 'better' options than the Type X out there, but I couldn't pass up the deal. Worst case, I can sell the Type X if I don't like how it performs, no biggie.

Do you think the AP1500.1 will adequately power the Type X wired down to 2-ohms? I got a great price on the AP, and read nothing but good things about them so I thought I'd give it a try. It's sitting here in the box now...I know it's 1ohm stable, but I really would like a single sub set-up.

TBH, I'd honestly like to go sealed, May go ported, but I'm not sure at this point. I'd be building my own box....

Thoughts/Input appreciated...

itll be ok..i would get something with more power at 2 ohms tho personally
Appreciate the input buddy. I'd have no issue getting rid of the AP. Just looking for opinions.....//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

Give the AP a shot and see how you like it. That's the beauty of the hobby, if you don't like it then sell/trade for something else.

I used to have a type x 10. Sounded good on low power, I had it in a ported box on an old kicker kx400.1 that did 485 rms, sounded great and got loud. However once I tried it on my old school alphasonik PMA1000HCA, it shined, hit so low and sounded amazing, people thought it couldn't have been a 10. But since that amp did "3k" at 1 ohm, it only lasted about a week before it would only work with the positives of each voice coil hooked up.....it'll take same power! Lol

Give the AP a shot and see how you like it. That's the beauty of the hobby, if you don't like it then sell/trade for something else.
Thanks man. I ended up buying a store display model in the box for $95 shipped on eBay. Worst case I can get that much for it if I don't like it :)

I used to have a type x 10. Sounded good on low power, I had it in a ported box on an old kicker kx400.1 that did 485 rms, sounded great and got loud. However once I tried it on my old school alphasonik PMA1000HCA, it shined, hit so low and sounded amazing, people thought it couldn't have been a 10. But since that amp did "3k" at 1 ohm, it only lasted about a week before it would only work with the positives of each voice coil hooked up.....it'll take same power! Lol
Appreciate the input. I know alot of folks say you can do better for the money, but I've heard Type X 12's in person and was happy. We will see how it does on the AP. I want to try 1.25 cubes sealed at 2ohms and see how it does :)

Be careful with AP amps, that's all 

---------- Post added at 09:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 PM ----------

To be fair though, the AP series is better than the apsm
Well thank you. I do realize it is a budget amp, with all the positive hype I thoughd I'd give it a try. I'm not dead set on keeping the type x, just playing around with options right now. Especially with the current AQ sale going on...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.