Alpine Type-S component tweeters too bright

Participant count
  • Participant list

93 saturn sl2
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Michigan
Has anyone else experienced this before?

I have the Type-S components up front and Type-S coaxials in the rear, powered from the factory HU in my Explorer with the Mach audio system. I have to have the treble turned almost all the way down or the tweeters will kill my ears. The coaxials arent bad at all though.

Has anyone else experienced this before?
I have the Type-S components up front and Type-S coaxials in the rear, powered from the factory HU in my Explorer with the Mach audio system. I have to have the treble turned almost all the way down or the tweeters will kill my ears. The coaxials arent bad at all though.
Same here. Bump?
Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

They are like that. You need a strong head unit with very good processing power and internal components to reduce it to a bearable level. Factory head units have their own EQ curve and it will screw with most aftermarket speakers. Even then, the tweeters are pretty bad. The whole Type S line is horrible IMO. They do okay for midbass but thats all there is to them.

What you wanna do first is get a dedicated Digital Signal Processor that overwrites the factory head unit's EQ curve. Then swap out the tweeters with something else later on. I'd recommend some SB Acoustic Tweeters and add an amplifier while you are at it. Even with the alpine crossover, those tweeters should sound 200x better

I said it in that order for a reason. If you dont fix the factory EQ curve, the problem will not go away no matter what tweeter you put in.

Thanks guys, ill look into the suggestions above. The Alpine crossover (if you can call it that) is powered from the woofer and inline with the tweeter. They're not like a traditional component setup where the crossover receives the signal first and gives it to the woofer and tweeter.

I only went with the Type-S because they were cheap and thats all I needed for the vehicle. Im happy with their sound besides the harsh tweeter.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.