Alpine Type-R Making Popping sound - subwoofer not blwen - amp to clipping

Participant count
  • Participant list

Action

**Alpine Type-R Making Popping sound - subwoofer not blown - amp not clipping** ( Just fixing the title lol )

First post here //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/veryhappy.gif.fec4fed33b4a1279cf10bdd45a039dae.gif BTW great forum, ive learned so much from here, kudos to the contributors.

I am facing a little issue with my subs, bought them used. I got two Alpine Type Rs 1243D 600 Watt RMS and hooked them up to Hifonics Brutus BRX 1516.1D.

Wired them down to 1 Ohm since both are 4 Ohm DVC.

The sub-woofers work fine at low volume, but they make popping and cracking sound if I give them even around 300 RMS each. Spider is intact, but i fell like its very stiff. I can push down on them but no crunching or scraping noise when i push down on the cone, its smooth. Checked with a volt meter the impedance of the coils, they are all giving around 4 Ohm so I know the coils are fine. Gain is at 50%. my JL w3s that are 500RMS bang hard with gain 75% no distortion same setup.

Im really not sure what the problem is, im so confused. Thanks for the help in advance //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Those have a large poly inverted dust cap over the paper cone so check to see if it has come loose on the edges.

My son had 2 of them few years back and one came loose and rattled hard but I sealed it back with shoe goop

Nope, nothing is lose, checked all over. I also feel like the excursion is not enough because of the stiffness. Does it have to be with the stiffness of the spider? would a stiff spider induces popping noise when given a little more power. Like I said, they work fine but pop at 300+, they also pop more on powerful low notes. They rattle on higher notes.

Nope, nothing is lose, checked all over. I also feel like the excursion is not enough because of the stiffness. Does it have to be with the stiffness of the spider? would a stiff spider induces popping noise when given a little more power. Like I said, they work fine but pop at 300+, they also pop more on powerful low notes. They rattle on higher notes.
Nope its either tinsel leads slapping or loose cone or you have a bad ground OR your box is falling apart. Take the subs out and free air test it and pinpoint the noiseand eliminate the box from the list of issues.

Nope its either tinsel leads slapping or loose cone or you have a bad ground OR your box is falling apart. Take the subs out and free air test it and pinpoint the noiseand eliminate the box from the list of issues.
These observations are all free air. No leads are lose. How could having a bad ground cause this problem?

These observations are all free air. No leads are lose. How could having a bad ground cause this problem?
Just a lot of electrical noise and it makes the amps sound wierd when you push it a bit harder. Happened with my brx 2400 when some of the grounds were loose same cone slapping noise and weak output.

If you can, upload a vid to youtube as well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.