Alpine type R generations

Timbo74

CarAudio.com Well Known
Aug 10, 2019
Wisconsin
I have, what I believe is a first generation type r 12.
How much better, if any is the current dual 4 Type r 12” sub? Does it hit harder? Sound better? More accurate?
Would it be worth the upgrade?
I have a chance to get one, in a sealed box, with a Fosgate amp for $80...should I?
I really don’t need the amp, but why not.
058F799D-3EC8-487E-9654-747D2095529B.jpeg

wew lad

wew lad inc
Mar 22, 2015
MA
minimal improvements, that's all i really have to say.

if the box is custom, it may be worth the price. if its prefab, don't bother.

THATpurpleKUSH

Smoke weed everyday
10+ year member
Sep 30, 2009
Banging gears and passing queeers
1st gen Type R's had a 2 inch coil and about 300-350w power handling. The newest Type R has a bigger coil, more power handling and excursion and has traded some efficiency for power handling. 1st Gen Type Rs are in the neighborhood of 15 years old so check for spider sag and burnt tinsels.

Depending on the amp it comes with I would pay $60 tops.

OP
Timbo74

Timbo74

CarAudio.com Well Known
Aug 10, 2019
Wisconsin
1st gen Type R's had a 2 inch coil and about 300-350w power handling. The newest Type R has a bigger coil, more power handling and excursion and has traded some efficiency for power handling. 1st Gen Type Rs are in the neighborhood of 15 years old so check for spider sag and burnt tinsels.

Depending on the amp it comes with I would pay $60 tops.
The spider, and the leads look good on mine, and it sounds pretty dang good off my 500w amp, but if the new gen is an improvement, I was gonna snag it. It sounds to me like the improvement is small, and, almost not worth the trouble.
Thanks.

ecs1965

CarAudio.com Newbie
Aug 24, 2019
Barnsdall
I have two of the first gen ALPINE R's SWR-1221D 2 OHM pushed by there own MRV- T420 THEY STILL HIT AS HARD AS THEY DID WHEN I BOUGHT THEM BRAND NEW IN 2004. I STILL HAVE THERE BOXES ORIGINAL PAPER WORK AND RECEIPT. That's a good by any sub+box+amp. And as for the box sealed or ported it is close enough to the specs of the sub it will be ok it will still perform like it should. I'm putting an ALPINE OLD SCHOOL SYSTEM in my F-350 Super Duty I got 2 ALPINE R-W12D4 IN A CHERRYMAN CUSTOM ENCLOUSER POWERED BUY ALPINE MRD-M1000 W/C RUX-4280.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Trending topics

Latest classifieds