Alpine type R generations

Participant count
  • Participants list

Timbo74

CarAudio.com Regular
I have, what I believe is a first generation type r 12.
How much better, if any is the current dual 4 Type r 12” sub? Does it hit harder? Sound better? More accurate?
Would it be worth the upgrade?
I have a chance to get one, in a sealed box, with a Fosgate amp for $80...should I?
I really don’t need the amp, but why not.
058F799D-3EC8-487E-9654-747D2095529B.jpeg

minimal improvements, that's all i really have to say.

if the box is custom, it may be worth the price. if its prefab, don't bother.

1st gen Type R's had a 2 inch coil and about 300-350w power handling. The newest Type R has a bigger coil, more power handling and excursion and has traded some efficiency for power handling. 1st Gen Type Rs are in the neighborhood of 15 years old so check for spider sag and burnt tinsels.

Depending on the amp it comes with I would pay $60 tops.

1st gen Type R's had a 2 inch coil and about 300-350w power handling. The newest Type R has a bigger coil, more power handling and excursion and has traded some efficiency for power handling. 1st Gen Type Rs are in the neighborhood of 15 years old so check for spider sag and burnt tinsels.

Depending on the amp it comes with I would pay $60 tops.
The spider, and the leads look good on mine, and it sounds pretty dang good off my 500w amp, but if the new gen is an improvement, I was gonna snag it. It sounds to me like the improvement is small, and, almost not worth the trouble.
Thanks.

I have two of the first gen ALPINE R's SWR-1221D 2 OHM pushed by there own MRV- T420 THEY STILL HIT AS HARD AS THEY DID WHEN I BOUGHT THEM BRAND NEW IN 2004. I STILL HAVE THERE BOXES ORIGINAL PAPER WORK AND RECEIPT. That's a good by any sub+box+amp. And as for the box sealed or ported it is close enough to the specs of the sub it will be ok it will still perform like it should. I'm putting an ALPINE OLD SCHOOL SYSTEM in my F-350 Super Duty I got 2 ALPINE R-W12D4 IN A CHERRYMAN CUSTOM ENCLOUSER POWERED BUY ALPINE MRD-M1000 W/C RUX-4280.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.