Alpine R-S65C.2 not very loud at all :(

Charles Belton

CarAudio.com Newbie
Apr 17, 2022
Installed Alpine R-Type components in front of Corsa powered by Ground Zero Radioactive 2x150wRMS tuned to 20v with multimeter and Kicker test tones. Premium 14 gauge speaker wire. Tested polarity with 9v battery. Cones don't even appear to be moving at full volume.

Added rear Alpine R-S69.2 speakers to amp at 2 ohms and they're much louder so you can hardly hear front speakers.

Ordered a handheld oscilloscope from China to take amplifier all the way up to 150wRMS. Can R-S65C.2 handle that amount of power?

I believe the Ground Zero amplifier is 2x250 max at 4 ohms so it should be okay. I know you can overpower JL Audio components.

Last edited:

audiobaun

CarAudio.com Veteran
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Jun 28, 2011
Reactions: Charles Belton

audiobaun

CarAudio.com Veteran
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Jun 28, 2011
Over powering any sub or speaker out of the Norm can and will usually end in failure as well as performance/clipping stages

hispls

CarAudio.com Veteran
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Sep 10, 2009
I've always been pleased with cars I've sat in using Type R components. I'd say either your gains or crossover settings to that channel is wrong or there is a problem with the location/aiming of those speakers.

Generally speaking if you have to ask about running more than rated power to a loudspeaker you probably shouldn't attempt it.

Charles Belton

CarAudio.com Newbie
Apr 17, 2022
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Installed Alpine R-Type components in front of Corsa powered by Ground Zero Radioactive 2x150wRMS tuned to 20v with multimeter and Kicker test tones. Premium 14 gauge speaker wire. Tested polarity with 9v battery. Cones don't even appear to be moving at full volume.

Added rear Alpine R-S69.2 speakers to amp at 2 ohms and they're much louder so you can hardly hear front speakers.

Ordered a handheld oscilloscope from China to take amplifier all the way up to 150wRMS. Can R-S65C.2 handle that amount of power?

I believe the Ground Zero amplifier is 2x250 max at 4 ohms so it should be okay. I know you can overpower JL Audio components.
I figured out the problem. It was the time alignment. I've been using an Alpine single din for years that didn't have time alignment. Just switched to a Pioneer AVH-Z5200DAB after my Alpine finally died. It's nowhere near as good :(

'Upgraded' first gen types R (which where brilliant) to second gen, which are 👎

2RZ-FE

Senior VIP Member
10+ year member
Mar 14, 2011
The .2 version isn’t as good as the previous two models. They recently increased the price $100 too. Alpine has new R Type R2 models coming soon in a 2 way and 3 way curious how those are.

Create an account or login to post

You must be a member in order to post a message

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.