Alpine ILX-309 Halo9

Participant count
  • Participant list
Anyone have any experience with this head unit? How sturdy is the screen with subs going?
No personal experience with them myself but a lot of guys here in Oahu started running them. The guys who do comps don’t run them but there is a guy who’s had his unit for a while. Went through his 1st build which was pretty decent SPL wise and now his new build which is even bigger and still runs it all the time. For reference his new build has 4 solid ass - 12’s, and like 16-20 Pro Mids and 16-20 Pro tweeters etc....

Anyone have any experience with this head unit? How sturdy is the screen with subs going?
They're way more sturdy than you'd think by looking at the photos and the screen is very nice looking and high quality. The two things I don't like about it is that it does not support a remote control and there is no physical volume knob which are two features I find very convenient. I did buy one this fall though and so far it is very nice.

What sort of numbers are you doing that you are worried about this?

It's still very nice and unique in it's ability to fit well in some spaces where nothing else will do. How loud are you planning to get that you're worried about breaking things?

Im a SQ type guy. I aint shaking buildings or anything like that. Im definitely on the lower end of vehicle flex. I just noticed the screen sticks out and wondered if the bass would shake the head unit

Im a SQ type guy. I aint shaking buildings or anything like that. Im definitely on the lower end of vehicle flex. I just noticed the screen sticks out and wondered if the bass would shake the head unit
It's not like the old motorized flip up screens which rely on tiny gears and such. You position the position to where you need it and use set screws to secure it and it is very solid. The first thing you would be worrying about if you ever get proper loud is breaking stuff on the circuit board inside the head unit prematurely (which is what the Alpine rep on the phone), but even there, Alpine told me they'd warranty it for the 1 year.
I suspect you could potentially break one of these mechanically with bass but not in any build that would be controlled from the interior or have people inside it when you power it up and very probably nothing that's not modified (cement filled doors, 4" bullet proof glass, etc.) that you would never control from the inside anyway. I've been 159.3-159.5dB this past year and that is nowhere close to stressing the screen on mine.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.