All-weather build?

Participant count
  • Participants list

jt4x4

CarAudio.com Exclusive
ND
Hopefully you guys will enjoy this thread because it isn't the same "which sub should I get?" that you see ten times a day.

I want to upgrade the sound system in my offroad toy. Problem is it gets water/mud above the floorboards once or twice a year, and I prefer to clean out the interior with a garden hose or pressure washer. I have removed all the carpet, the door panels, and the rear seats to make cleanup easier. Picture is the latest example (32" tires for reference).
stuck forum size.jpg

Current stereo is later Eclipse deck, Kicker 6x9's in the rear, Powerbass speakers in the front dash (garbage), Alpine MRP-65 amp (i think), and newer Pioneer 12" shallow mount in a ported pre-fab truck box. 130A alternator and 1/0 big three.

Questions:

1) How weatherproof is marine equipment? Rated for humidity? ...rain? ...hose? ...pressure-washer? ...submerged?

2) Would a fiberglass sub enclosure be preferred to wood? I would assume so, as my boat has a fiberglass hull, but my fiberglass boat also has a lot of wood in it.

3) So far I have never gotten a significant amount of mud on the stereo; should it be ok as long as the components don't get a direct spray? My 6x9's have dried mud splatter on them, but they have been going strong for at least eight years.

4) Any other advice to keep my stereo going in the long run? The vehicle stands no chance of being water-tight, as I usually have to open the door to get out and tread through the muck to connect a winch line.

Offroad guys often use this phrase: "As slow as possible; as fast as necessary." Well, my budget for this is as cheap as possible, but as expensive as necessary, with priority going to longevity over quality (ie: if Pyramid (or any other **** brand) meets ip68 but JL only meets ip67, I'll go with Pyramid). Deck MUST be able to play songs over bluetooth. I would prefer to use as much of my current setup as I can, as a lot of it is relatively new and/or has features that I enjoy.

Let me know what you think, and sorry for being so long-winded!

- Joe

I am genuinely surprised by how few responses I have received. nauc - I appreciate the suggestion; I know that marine stuff is available from most big-name manufacturers, but I was hoping to hear about personal experience with marine products.

No responses because it’s a bad idea.
I bet you're a blast at parties.... Seriously though; care to elaborate? I realize submerging electronics is frowned upon. I created this thread to get suggestions on how to MINIMIZE (not eliminate) damaged equipment.

I bet you're a blast at parties.... Seriously though; care to elaborate? I realize submerging electronics is frowned upon. I created this thread to get suggestions on how to MINIMIZE (not eliminate) damaged equipment.

Your mom thought so... Son.

Even conformal-coated marine electronics are not waterproof. They are resistant to salt air. They are not potted and most above-the-board components are not protected.
You can do a lot of damage to electronics that have experienced direct exposure to water.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.