Air Space Exceeded

U-H.Com
10+ year member

Hey guys...

Basically I was wondering what the drawbacks are of creating a sealed box with a larger internal volume than recommended....the recommended volume for my sub is 1.5-2.0 and right now my box is going to be 3.4 cubic feet. I was planning on using a different sub with this box, but changed my mind during box construction. Will it harm the sub at all?

What is the new sub you are going to be using in that box? Maybe it can handle the 3.4 cubes - 2 - 3.4 cubes is a pretty big difference. Also, how much power are you going to be sending the sub?

Oh, hey, if you still building the box(which I doubt) change the dimensions //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

- Steve

My new sub is requiring 1.5-2.0. My original sub that I was building the box for was for the 3-3.5 range. And I can't really change the dimensions of the box, because its almost completed. I am just building a plexiglass window for it now...

The box might be alright, try it out and see how it sounds. If it sounds like ****, time to build yourself a new box or redo your current box(which is easy)

- Steve

See I would be re-doing my box right now, although I have already attached two mirror pieces to the inside of it, and they are pretty securely on there. And they are the main dimensions of the box, so it would be hard to re-construct it....thanks for your help though //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Oh ok, oh well, see how it sounds and then work from there //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

- Steve

I wouldn't recommend using that much power if the box is 1.4 cubes over what the sub was designed for, you going to possible end up with a lot of distortion and cook the sub at that power. What you can do is displace the air volume, use some scrap wood that you have left over from building the box, do the math on the wood you are putting into the box h x w x d and divide by 1728. Then simple glue it and screw it inside the box. Hope this has helped.

Sounds like a good opportunity to port your box now. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Jearod

Well My MA XE is better in the 2.0 instead of their 1.5 they reccomend for ported. A co-workers 2 IL's are in a 5.3 instead of a 4.0 vented and they SLAM so try it man. Worst comes to worst u do it again.

J

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.