Air Chamber question

I'd love to see the science behind this claim. I really don't think you understand how impedance works.
OP, why tune so low? What are your goals?

I would suspect where you put the subs and port(s) on the box and in the vehicle will make more of a difference than whether you share airspace. Whether gain matching or strapping will make any difference for you can be tested in under 10 minutes. Strapping does sacrifice some damping factor for sure and by all accounts will not be optimum for SPL applications and possibly not for music either, though is a bit simpler than gain matching.
the science on paper, bleh. What actually happens at the lanes. Plenty. Everyone knows it.

I'd love to see the science behind this claim. I really don't think you understand how impedance works.
OP, why tune so low? What are your goals?

I would suspect where you put the subs and port(s) on the box and in the vehicle will make more of a difference than whether you share airspace. Whether gain matching or strapping will make any difference for you can be tested in under 10 minutes. Strapping does sacrifice some damping factor for sure and by all accounts will not be optimum for SPL applications and possibly not for music either, though is a bit simpler than gain matching.
I was told these subs will perform better in a 30 hz box from multiple people. What are your thoughts?

When you say each woofer in 3 cubes you mean separate air Chamber right?
I think he means 3 cubes per woofer regardless of chambers. So that means if they are in the same chamber that would be 6 cubes. Look at the big systems man, how many people do you see running separate chambers, don't overthink it. Ever seen a wall with all separate chambers? Go on Instagram right now and look at all the good box builders and count how many times you see the subs in different chambers. Run them together and call it a day my man. If you are having cancellation problems, you can have them in separate chambers as well.

What if you build one of the chambers slightly different than the other, by accident. You have more variables to overcome with two chambers. At the end of the day, we can get as technical as we want but most of the stuff we are talking about is extreme and most likely not going to be audible if present at all. A single common chamber has less room for error I would say.

Ever seen a wall with all separate chambers?
There have been a handful of VERY loud ones, but it is unusual and unless you had a really good reason to do so I don't see any point particularly going ported where it's going to very much simplify building the port to share airspace.

the science on paper, bleh. What actually happens at the lanes. Plenty. Everyone knows it.
So does "rise" go up with different brands of amps too, or just when you strap them?

I never said that gain matching doesn't gain, but the impedance of the subs in the box doesn't magically change based on what amp you hook up to them.

I was told these subs will perform better in a 30 hz box from multiple people. What are your thoughts?
Were you in Sanford this weekend?

Anyway, I'm not impressed with low tuning, but I suppose that's what Sundown designs these for so give it a whirl, if you like listening to slowed music you'll be thrilled.

There have been a handful of VERY loud ones, but it is unusual and unless you had a really good reason to do so I don't see any point particularly going ported where it's going to very much simplify building the port to share airspace.
This is my point. You will only find a handful, and if you have to ask this question you probably go in the category of what is common practice, and not trailblazing uncharted territories.

So that amp does 8,000w at .5 ohm? That's what you are saying
If he has 2x rise around his peak each amp will see 2ohms (2ohm x 2xrise) or about 1900watts per amp

If he wires to .5 and rises to 1 ohm he is right around 3500

So 2 amps strapped he around 3800w at his peak

1 amp at .5ohm is 3500w

Just throwing out rise numbers but you get the idea

Also this is around peak so music throw all that out the window

But rise doesn't really matter for music anyway

I usually just do a shared chamber unless STRUCTURALLY the box would work better with separate chambers. Like a center slot port supporting the center of the enclosure. End of day, really doesn't matter a bunch, as long as it's designed correctly for the application. Single port>anything.

If he has 2x rise around his peak each amp will see 2ohms (2ohm x 2xrise) or about 1900watts per amp If he wires to .5 and rises to 1 ohm he is right around 3500

So 2 amps strapped he around 3800w at his peak

1 amp at .5ohm is 3500w

Just throwing out rise numbers but you get the idea

Also this is around peak so music throw all that out the window

But rise doesn't really matter for music anyway
Well now I know why people ask about strapping vs. running 1 amp per sub.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.