Air Chamber question

This is one way... I prefer to parallel the coils then series the subs personally... LOL!

BymFoyA.png

So aero port? in the center? And what about dual chambered or same chamber?
same chamber is fine. I would rather gain match then strap. I was always louder gain matching then strapping. Along with many other people i know. Not to mention strapping places unnecessary stress on the slave amp. A few people that strapped tested their amps power after a few years and found the slave amp did significantly less power than the master amp. Not to mention strapping creates a sh*t ton of rise as well.

same chamber is fine. I would rather gain match then strap. I was always louder gain matching then strapping. Along with many other people i know. Not to mention strapping places unnecessary stress on the slave amp. A few people that strapped tested their amps power after a few years and found the slave amp did significantly less power than the master amp. Not to mention strapping creates a sh*t ton of rise as well.
Really?.. I've never read that anywhere till now... odd...

it was a big topic on FB. Sorry the traffic is all there nowadays.
I know it is... I'm still trying to get up to speed from the 90's... FB is a final frontier for me... LOL!.. I will not disagree but I haven't seen it yet...

Thanks for the response. Yeah I was planning on gain matching at first. You recommended just a middle slot port? Why? What about a kerfed slot port or middle aero port? And whats all this talk about people saying subs being fed by two amps should never be in same chamber?

Thanks for the response. Yeah I was planning on gain matching at first. You recommended just a middle slot port? Why? What about a kerfed slot port or middle aero port? And whats all this talk about people saying subs being fed by two amps should never be in same chamber?
middle aero is fine. Slot port is not optimal solely because one sub is closer to the mouth of the port than the other sub which will cause uneven pressure/loading aka when you see the subs playing out of rhythm of each other. As long as you gain match right, there is no issue.

I had my two 18s setup back then on two amps strapped, same chamber box. It was meh at best, generally weak for what the setup was. I took the amps out and gain matched it. WAY louder and better sounding.

20150825_153351.jpg

middle aero is fine. Slot port is not optimal solely because one sub is closer to the mouth of the port than the other sub which will cause uneven pressure/loading aka when you see the subs playing out of rhythm of each other. As long as you gain match right, there is no issue.
I had my two 18s setup back then on two amps strapped, same chamber box. It was meh at best, generally weak for what the setup was. I took the amps out and gain matched it. WAY louder and better sounding.

20150825_153351.jpg
Okay cool man. Seriously thanks so much! Sorry this is my first big league system and I just want everything to go really perfect. Now when gain matching I need to match the subsonic filter and obvilously the gain. I was gonna use y splits from the headunit. What do I do regarding the crossover. Never done this before. I'm going to have my friend helping me who actually builds his own woofers from scratch but I want to learn this as well.

20150825_153351.jpg
That's good to know man, thanks

strapping creates a sh*t ton of rise as well.
I'd love to see the science behind this claim. I really don't think you understand how impedance works.

OP, why tune so low? What are your goals?

I would suspect where you put the subs and port(s) on the box and in the vehicle will make more of a difference than whether you share airspace. Whether gain matching or strapping will make any difference for you can be tested in under 10 minutes. Strapping does sacrifice some damping factor for sure and by all accounts will not be optimum for SPL applications and possibly not for music either, though is a bit simpler than gain matching.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.