Aiming for 4k, Alternator/Battery/Wiring Questions

TheJuggla1
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Surrey BC
I am thinking about picking up a 18" Kicker, looking to aim for 4k because I hear that is the best for daily use.

First off lets talk about H/O alternators

I hear something like alternators having 'dual' or something like that in them where they put out A LOT more than normal ones do?

I am looking to dedicate a alternator to the Sub or should I include the speaker amp on it too?

I hear a lot of people arguing you will never get like 200-300 amps at idle, makes sense to me, hell even dropping my truck into N I can see the voltage meter go up a tiny bit. But I was wondering what a good alternator I should get to power roughly 4k(I know I won't be running these straight off the alternator)

Think you have to get isolators or it won't charge each battery properly correct?

About how the power goes, will it always use up the alternator first, then start draining from the battery? Or can I make it so it just drains the battery and the alternator charges the battery? Not sure exactly how the power works in a car. ATM, I don't need an explanation for this, just an answer/tell me what is best to do.

Now for batteries

I see some people with these subs or other ones with higher voltage batteries, like 16V ect. what does this do? Is it better to do it like this?

I dunno if any batteries come with volt meter, but it would be nice to see how much my battery(s) have left in them, where would I put this in the circuit for more accuracy?

Looking for some recommendations for batteries, and how many you guys think I should have to run these subs. Of course I am ok with turning them down a little to let the battery charge, I don't want my ears to blow up, I won't be even pushing the 4k much I don't think, I just want it to be able to take that much occasionally for a decent amount of time, not some batteries that are going to die from being discharged regularly.

Not really that much wiring questions, just maybe what gauge I should run from my Alternator to Batteries, and what speaker wire I should use?

you are gonna want to run some 1/0 wire i have 125ft spools of monster cable and for alts if i were you i would contact http://www.dcpowerinc.com they have some awesome cs and killer alts..Also for batteries you will need a good deep cycle up front and a few good g31's in the rear 2-3 in the back to be precise..

Also for batteries you will need a good deep cycle up front and a few good g31's in the rear 2-3 in the back to be precise..

Not sure what this means, deep cycle has something to do with it charging or something? Why would I need batteries up front and rear, little explanation getting kinda confused, first time doing anything like this.

well batteries help supply the current to the amp just adding a alt and one nice battery up front will not be avle to continually supply a 4k amp the juice need..You will need to build a battery bank as a storage unit so to speak for the sustained long runs for the amp.The alt is mainly to recharge the batteries..The alt works with the batteries but the alt cant do it alone and the batteries will help but a stock alt would fail pretty quick..

That wasn't my question, it was more as why there has to be a battery up front and like 2-3 at the back? Can't I put them all up front or all in the back?

And what is the price on these batteries? If I go into the audio store and ask for g31s will they possibly have it? Or do I have to go to a battery specific store?

Also about the 16V batteries does the voltage make any difference on the battery?(Assuming it is 12 or higher) it is just how many amps it can hold?

lol...let me see if I can try and help a little. Okay 1st off battery up (biggest you can fit preferably AGM) Batteries in the back b/c most amps are in the back and you want the power source to be as close as possible to the amp. 0 gauge is a MUST NO EXCEPTION! G31 = size of battery not a brand, you don't have to go to a battery specific store, but it's better to have a battery designed for audio use. Ex. Deka, Kinetik, Stinger, power master. As for the 16V, you can't really run your car on 16v's could possibly fry the ecu. You CAN get a step up converter (think that's what it's called) and run your amp at 16V's not all amps can handle 16V daily.

So I keep a bigger one up front, and then rest in the back next to the batteries?

I am looking to run 2x 2000 Watt Mono Alpines, probably just go with a battery for each, sound good?

So maybe get the biggest one I can find and put that up front, then one for each amp maybe a step down from the one I have upfront in the rear as close to the amps as possible? How do I wire this? I run one wire from the alternator to the front battery, then use an isolator and run 2 more wires to each rear battery?

LOL dual alternators don't have dual, just means there are two of them.
That wasn't what I meant, I think the word I was looking for was double stator?(or is that a brand?)

I mean I'm pretty good at replacing stuff, like my alternator just broke today and I replaced it no problem but adding a second alternator seems to be a lot of careful work I might not be able to do such as getting a correct belt size and choosing a good spot and then building a mount and making sure its even along the belt, is it a lot easier than I think or should I have a car shop do this?

That wasn't my question, it was more as why there has to be a battery up front and like 2-3 at the back? Can't I put them all up front or all in the back?
And what is the price on these batteries? If I go into the audio store and ask for g31s will they possibly have it? Or do I have to go to a battery specific store?

Also about the 16V batteries does the voltage make any difference on the battery?(Assuming it is 12 or higher) it is just how many amps it can hold?
good luck fitting like 4 batteries under the hood, usually do the biggest one you can fit under the hood and the rest by the amps

Wowzers ! I've been running all 6 of my batts under the hood this whole time !!

* Puts engine back in and batts in the back *

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.