AHHH! Problem with audio shop/installer! Help/Rant!

acousticguitar
10+ year member

Law and Order
Hi everyone, I am posting this because I could use your support/help in dealing with this matter, especially if you are part of the Sacramento car audio community. (and I am getting somewhat desperate)

Back in February and early March, I got my hands on a lot of gear, all of the stuff you see in my sig. I was going to get it all installed by Anthony’s Car Stereo out in Orangevale, CA. (which is right next to Sacramento) Why? 2 reasons: (1) I don’t have much time and have no skill in installing stuff, so I don’t want to break or mess up anything. (2) the owner owes a friend of mine a big favor. (ok, it’s a debt for work that my friend did for him years ago) The owner has never paid off that debt. So he agreed to do my install to pay off that debt he owes.

My install should be fairly simple overall. JBL speakers all go in stock locations. Tweeters need a custom mount on the dash, but that is supposed to be a very simple job for him. Subwoofers require a custom box, which is the only semi-difficult thing. Alpine HU but I have the dash kit. Finally, I have some 40 odd sq. ft of Damplifier and Damp Pro to be installed on the front doors, the rear door, and the quarter panel where the subs go.

The owner agreed to do the install as long as I came out to Sacramento, which is a long drive for me, during business hours. (nearly 2 hours each way, almost getting me in trouble at work!) He said he wanted to see what kind of equipment I wanted installed to verify he could do it. I drove out there two months ago. He looks at my stuff for 5 minutes and says he can do it and that he will call me in a month and a half when he’s less busy. No real check—I think he did it to make sure that I was serious and to try to get his way out of doing my van. But I made the drive. Anyways, he knows my type of minivan b/c his crew had done work on installing DVD players on a whole fleet of them, so my install should be easy for him. (which he acknowledged)

It’s almost May now and I keep calling in every few weeks to check in with him. He tells me that he is so busy because he doesn’t have enough installers—that’s what he says each time. He keeps saying he’ll call me. The last time I called, he said he was booked for the next 3-4 months, which means that my stuff which I bought in February or March is no longer returnable and going to be well into their warranty period. (arg!) He has been scheduling business and refusing to even put me down for an appointment. Last time he said I had a 1 day job, now he claims it’s a 4 day job. Anything to get out of paying off a debt I think. All the while he's been leading me along!

To make matters worse, he’s ignoring my friend who he owes a small sum of money to. Refuses to return phone calls or messages. Even my friend thinks the whole situation is messed up and I am getting shafted.

The only option he’s given me is to go to his “other” shop in Sacramento for the install. Which of course, is not his shop—its his brother’s shop, which I hear does sub-standard (crappy) work. And since there is no debt between my friend and his brother, I would have to pay an arm and a leg for shoddy work I can get done closer to home.

I really don’t have the money to burn on another installer since I’m in major educational debt. So I am posting this to rally some support. If people want to write letters or call Anthony to put some pressure on, that would be nice. Especially if you mention you are from forum on the internet, that way he would realize that he’s not just shafting me, but he’s going to ruin his shop’s reputation if he doesn’t act. Especially if you know the shop or are from the area, I could use the support. Thanks for listening to me rant.

Anthony's Car Stereo

9172 Greenback Lane, Suite S

Orangevale, CA 95662-5902

(916) 988-6930

Thanks!

its clearly obvious that he doesnt want to do the work, you need to find someone to help you install the stuff.... or either par for it to get done....

go to him and tell him that you understan hes busy and you will wait to get your stuff installed and hae him sign a peice of paper... then go back home... call a court and bring his ass to court saying he still hasnt done it

You have no leverage with this installer.

We have no leverage with this installer.

Your friend apparently has no leverage with this installer.

Let it go.

Do you really want to piss someone off then have him work on your car?

Actually, oral contracts can hold up legally, but i would rather not deal w/ that since its not worth going to court over. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Time to find a new installer/someone willing to help out in the Bay Area I suppose. Anyone know any good, inexpensive shops/installers? (SF/East Bay pref) Or if anyone is in the area who likes working w/ cars, i'm a complete newb w/o tools and exp, but willing to learn at this point. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I'd say look for someone from one of the boards to help you out....I'm sure someone will do it for a case of beer. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Just tell your friend to file a suit in small claims court for the amount he's owed. That'll get him motivated //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/satan.gif.9c6a335ed7aeeed3ee273e573f1fcaac.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.