AGM switching to Lead acid

Participant count
  • Participant list

adulbrich
5,000+ posts

Olive oil un-virginer
Ames, Iowa
Well, I'm considering switching from AGM to lead acid.

My battery bank is in the bed of my truck, so I'm not concerned about the gas that's created when the batteries charge.

I have money in the bank and can trade in my year old AGM's for partial credit on the new purchase. I'd like to get a bunch of "scrubber batteries" that look like these 8d's

deka_a8d.jpg

a408000.jpg

I can get a lot more capacity for my money with non-sealed batteries. Plus, my amps can take up to a 16v input voltage. I have an isolated electrical system from stock. It's my understanding that I can charge the lead acid batteries higher with a potentiometer on occasion (like 15.5-16v for full tilt demos) because I can just add more distilled water if they gas a little, unlike AGM's which would be permanently damaged by gassing.

I have five AGM group 49's right now that are 80ah each. I could buy more for $150 each if that would be a better option, but I'd like to try a huge bank of deep-cycle scrubbers designed to run heavy equipment all day off one charge. Even with the quad alts, I'll probably hit battery voltage full tilt at idle. The amps are stable down to 8.5v, so battery voltage would be fine.

Thoughts?

They're not "car audio" AGM's.

I would switch because I need more battery power than what I have, and I can get more ah per $ with standard non-sealed batteries

How much are the batteries your switching too?
Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk
Not 100% sure of an exact number. I'm going to the shop on my lunch break tomorrow to see what kind of deal they can cut me on a bulk order

boomsday was using lawnmower lead acid batts and got great results so i dont see why not.
Alright, cool

Not 100% sure of an exact number. I'm going to the shop on my lunch break tomorrow to see what kind of deal they can cut me on a bulk order

Alright, cool
Let us know how this goes if you do go this route. I need a more affordable solution when I do my battery bank in my truck. No way in hell am I dropping $2.5k for 6 D3100s. I'd rather spend $2.5k and have 12-15 of these //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I am using two 170ah sealed lead acid and they're incredible. I've put an an Ampere 5000 at half ohm and didn't drop below 12.9 at idle with 250a alt. I would say they hold up super well. You are needing a lot more than that, but still a good representation.
SLA isnt what he's talking about

Let us know how this goes if you do go this route. I need a more affordable solution when I do my battery bank in my truck. No way in hell am I dropping $2.5k for 6 D3100s. I'd rather spend $2.5k and have 12-15 of these //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
Don't buy anymore XS batteries. You can get twice as many group 31 AGM's for the same price

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.