Age old box question, SEALED vs PORTED

So sonic's has a sealed belva 12" 1.5cu box for dirt cheap and I've been thinking about switch to sealed for a while...

I currently am running a Belva 12" 1.71 cu ported 44hz box. Fairly certain this is just a bad tune for an alpine type r, or any sub really. It sounds great right now, but i'm just not getting what I expect from 1000wrms. I listen to 99% heavy metal with the occasional eminem. I really really want some heart stopping double bass thump. Possibly need to add more than 1 12" type r, but for the time being, it's what I'm working with...

My questions, is it just a myth that sealed box's thump better? Will a sealed box with proper airspace be better than a ported with improper tuning.. Will I just be wasting money on another box and not getting any better performance?

never heard of that myth
I mean everyone knows that ported box's get louder and produce deeper bass. The rumor is that sealed box's have more punch.. Any truth? Do you think a sealed is better than a poorly tuned ported?

I mean everyone knows that ported box's get louder and produce deeper bass. The rumor is that sealed box's have more punch.. Any truth? Do you think a sealed is better than a poorly tuned ported?
If it's designed correctly that is 100% false.

Sealed is more forgiving

A subwoofer can sound punchy when its response has the bass rolling off too fast. An undersized sealed enclosure might exaggerate the kick drum. That can be addressed with EQ and crossovers.

IMO, sealed boxes are better for metal. I have run both with rap and metal, sealed has more punch than ported from my experience. Ported boxes are louder and play lower though.
Like its been said. It's all in the design. Ported can do everything sealed can do and do it better. You can always take away

I am surprised nobody has mentioned the characteristics of your subwoofer as being a major contributing factor to which kind of enclosure could work best for your needs.

http://support.alpine-usa.com/products/documents/OM_SWR-10D2_4_12D2_4.pdf

^this is your subs parameters (I think)

Car Audio: Thiele-Small Parameters

^

This is a TS Parameter quick reference

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-reference-database/534269-useful-web-links-car-audio-references.html

^This is a compilation of car audio sources as gathered by a very well respected member of this forum.

Not all subs will perform as others would in the same enclosure. I know the above info is a good way to start.

That's in the design. You can gain bandwidth with the cost of overal output. Always a trade off somewhere
How does this work? Bigger box = more bandwidth but less output? It probably would eventually get to a point where you might as well just run a sealed box.

I am surprised nobody has mentioned the characteristics of your subwoofer as being a major contributing factor to which kind of enclosure could work best for your needs.
http://support.alpine-usa.com/products/documents/OM_SWR-10D2_4_12D2_4.pdf

^this is your subs parameters (I think)

Car Audio: Thiele-Small Parameters

^

This is a TS Parameter quick reference

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-reference-database/534269-useful-web-links-car-audio-references.html

^This is a compilation of car audio sources as gathered by a very well respected member of this forum.

Not all subs will perform as others would in the same enclosure. I know the above info is a good way to start.
You can rarely go off the T/S. Most are taken pre break in when everything is still very stiff.

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

How does this work? Bigger box = more bandwidth but less output? It probably would eventually get to a point where you might as well just run a sealed box.
Port area. Lower- less overall peak with more bandwidth and control under tuning.

You can rarely go off the T/S. Most are taken pre break in when everything is still very stiff. 

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

Port area. Lower- less overall peak with more bandwidth and control under tuning.
Oh ok I'm gonna have to mess with that in WinISD. Thank you.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.