Aftermarket HU with factory rear DVD player

Participant count
  • Participant list

JessyBoy86

Senior VIP Member
Hi guys,

i just got a wonderful '16 Grand Caravan ( don't judge me) with a Rear DVD player playing through the factory head unit.

i want to build a good front stage with a pair of component speakers and amp.

There's a kenwood head unit sleeping in my closet, still in the box and i want to install it in the caravan. it has a 6.5'' screen just like the factory HU.

I wanna know if i can install this receiver and still get the rear DVD working. Is it possible ? And what about the controls on the steering wheel ?

If it is something very complicated, i was thinking of keeping the factory HU and buy an adapter ''speaker wire to RCA'' so i can get the amp working.

Based on your experiences, will i get pretty decent performance with the factory HU and RCA adapters or this is pure crap ? i know it's not the best case scenario but will i still enjoy good sound quality at high volume ?

i want front stage only cuz i don't give a **** about the rear speakers, step-son will be watching DVDs with the bluetooth headphones on....Are those bluetooth through the HU or the rear DVD itself ?

Lot of questions but would appreciate A LOT any input from you guys !

I don't know what Maestro is...

it's a radio bought brand new in 2014...do you think it could be compatible ?

Anyway i check when i get home, i don't know exactly what model it is.

Ok, so it's not compatible with Maestro....it's a DDX470, wich is kinda old.

There's also the backup camera i wanna keep....it's getting complicated. I guess i'll go with the RCA adapter for the factory HU and link the amp. Unless someone tells me i can install the Kenwood DDX470 and still use the backup camera, rear DVD player, cruise control and bluetooth for my phone ???

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody ever done this kind of setup ?

Id really like to install this kenwood HU and keep the rear dvd, bluetooth and backup camera...

I just read the manual and theres a video input for a backup camera...i guess i just need to plug the OEM camera in ?

Theres also a video output and audio output jack, can they be used for the rear DVD player ?

It also says i can just fit in an adapter so i can keep the steering wheel controls, can i use the OEM mic ?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.