aero or slot port hdc3 18

As long as you have enough port area for the sub to be happy at your desired tune, it's not going to matter... I personally prefer slot porting because there is no need to buy anything extra as it is incorporated into your enclosure build, but I have nothing against Aero porting if it is done correctly

I've had that exact sub and I used an 8" concrete tube from the home center. You would be amazed at how rigid they are, especially once glued and screws into the box. Cheaper than aeros, easier than slot, 50" of port.

An 8" sono tube aint going to cut it for a 18". how many cubes and what tuning you going for?

Box size has nothing to do with port area. I'm going to start chopping my thumbs off. Lol. Port area is more so determined by the type of box it is (ported, bandpass, etc), the cone area of the sub, desired tuning frequency and the subs excursion.

Box size has nothing to do with port area. I'm going to start chopping my thumbs off. Lol. Port area is more so determined by the type of box it is (ported, bandpass, etc), the cone area of the sub, desired tuning frequency and the subs excursion.
I agree, but it does have a little to do with box size as each given enclosure & sub types are going to like a certain ratio of port area vs. enclosure size? Or am I understanding it wrong?

That is the general rule that people use. Like the x inches per cube. But if your making a box for a certain driver, I don't see the point if you're gonna cut corners and muff up one of the biggest factors of the box. If that were the case, a simple 12" Walmart sub would be just fine in the same box/port as a fi q 12. Which isn't the case. And aero ports are the most efficient port in the game so far. But as previously stated, a slot port won't be any noticeable difference if built properly.

\but we know the box is going to be ported, we know the cone area and we know the excursion.

in for this convo.... i may doing a single hdc3 15 on about 3k in the future, not sure how to go at making a box for these subs myself. im looking for more spl then sq though but in for some ideas

My slot port does just fine for my HDC 18, 54.9 out of the trunk ain't bad for a daily set up....

OP why a kerfed port? Nothing special about them IMO

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.