Advice Replacing Stock Speakers

stylez777
10+ year member

Hi all first post hear and wanted a bit of advice.

I am replacing my whole stock unit (speakers and reciever), I was going to go with the Pioneer 490IB or 590IB one of the two depending on price.

Now as far as Speakers go I am not going to add an AMP or Sub at this time probably in the future when money is a bit better. After alot of looking I narrowed down the 6 x 9 for the back too either the Pioneer A6982R or the Sony XS-V6942A. Now i am limited on my car audio knowledge but i did hear the sony speakers and they sounded pretty good to me, they were a bit cheaper the the Pioneers but everyone kept telling me go with the pioneer ones cause they sound better. Now does anyone have any opinions on which of the two would be better without an amp and sub? or does anyone have another set of good 6 x 9 3 way or more they can recommed?

My front Speakers are 4 x 6 i haven't looked into any yet but I am assuming I should go with 3 ways here aswell?? and would it be feasable to assume I should go with the same company speakers all the way around? any info anyone can provide would be helpful...

for 6x9's, I know they're more expensive, but look at the Pioneer REV 6x9 coaxials. They sound amazing, even just of head unit power. They're my favorite coaxes out there //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I think I had some 3 way pioneer 6 X 9's and I liked them. I think I had rockford fosgate 4 X 6's in the front and they were both powered off my deck and I really liked how it sounded...

What kind of car do you have? And my opinion would be to get the head unit in, then save up and do the speakers right the first time, so you don't waste money on the coax's then scrap em for a better setup. You'd be surprised in some cars the little extra power of the upgraded head unit can boost the speaker performance enough to hold you off a bit so you can get a nice setup! Just my opinion =)

I have a 1999 pontiac Sunfire.

Well I am doing everything in one shot, the speakers and the head unit. Like I said earlier I am def either going with the Pioneer 490IB or 590IB head unit.

As for the speakers I am not going overboard with the system. I am not going to ever go with components cause the car isn't worth it for me to do nor am i that obsessed with sound. I do know if i stick a new head unit in it will sound better but the stock speakers ****, that why i replacing them all. The car is a coupe so with only a head unit and new speakers it's going to be plenty loud enough for me.

I went to a store today and I picked up my 6 x 9's. I shyed away from the Sony Xplodes and went with the Pioneers. I had a choice between the TS-A6981R (the 420w 80 rms) or the Pioneer TS-A942P (440w 80 rms) Same price on both $100 no tax. I went with the later of the two, i couldn't see a difference in them except the ones i got were Premier and the others were not (also the ones i got were 440w compared to the others being 420) besides that everything else was the same.

I am going tomorrow to try and find the 4 x 6 for the front, but most places i went too didn;t have any 4 x 6 speakers, might have to order those online.

Just an idea but have you looked at a way to fit some 6.5" spekaers in your front doors? Get some spacers and adapters maybe...My door speaker are 4x6 right now but am planning on putting 6.5" in cause it will probaly sound so much better. Just an idea for you though and good luck.

I was thinking about that earlier, I was wondering if there was a way to put bigger speakers in the front doors. I have yet to take off the door panel (gonna do that tomorrow). I gotta see what kinda depth I have or what kinda space i am working with.

I never installed speakers in a car so this will be my first attempt. It's kinda gonna be my little project, so i don;t wanna go too overboard customizing stuff or getting in over my head with having to cut out bigger spaces in the door and stuff like that but if i can figure something out i'll give it a go.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.