Advice on Sound System Install!

Participant count
  • Participant list

burgo855

Tasmania
Hey guys,

I hope i have found the correct section to post in... If not i am sorry :/

I have decided since i bought my current car that it definitely needs an upgrade on the sound system!. It has the old-school 98 two way speakers, 3 of them are blown lol.

It has a cheap Sony head unit in it but its not bad and i can happily cope with it. Here is the tricky part... I need some help on upgrades //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif.

I haven't installed a sound system before, however i have never had issues with changing car panels/covers or wiring lights up so providing i take my time, do my research i should be alright. This car is not overly valuable, but it would be nice to have a somewhat normal sound system in it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif.

I have done some shopping and here is what i have bought so far:

1. 4X 500W MaxTurbo 6.5" speakers:

PICTURE OF SPEAKERS

SPECIFICATIONS:

• RMS Power (per speaker): 60W
  • MAX POWER: 500W
  • 4 OHM IMPEDANCE
  • FREQ.RESP.: 22-60KHZ (high range)
  • SPL:92dB/W/M

2. 1X 2200W MaxTurbo Sub Woofer:

PICTURE OF SUB WOOFER

SPECIFICATIONS:

• RMS Power (per speaker): 300W
  • MAX POWER: 2200W
  • FREQ.RESP.: 35-300HZ
  • IMPEDANCE: 4 OHM
  • SPL: 93dB/W/M

I'm not too sure how to go by the whole Amplifier situation... I think you base the Amp on each individual speakers Wattage? so therefore 60X4=240W? So i guess that means i can have a 2 channel 250w amp(max 500w?) and hook up front speakers on one channel and rear speakers on the other channel? Instead of paying more for a 4 channel.

I also thought the Sub would be cheapest/best to have another separate Amplifier? I looked into mono boxes/amplifiers but **** their expensive for a cheap sound system! So for some reason on the world of Ebay i noticed that 2channel amps are cheaper than the mono... Anyways each Sub has 300W so if i get a 600w 2channel Amp and then pull apart the sub box and separate the 2 subs one for each channel on the amp?

Yeah... need advice on the amps guys and if you could also link me to some cheap ones on ebay you would recommend for the above?

And here is the list i came up with of parts i would need, please tell me if i need to add anything:

• Fuse and fuse holder(noticed CD Player doesn't currently have one:blush:)
  • Power Cable
  • Power Block - Needed?
  • Ground Block - Needed?
  • Capacitor - Needed?
  • Amplifier x2 or 1 unknown
  • Speakers x4
  • Sub Woofer x1
  • Patch Cables

Is their anything i am missing? Could anyone recommend a diagram of how the installation should look?

Thank you to anyone who can give me some input.

any 2 channel amps with a low pass filter would work for speakers and subs given that you do your wiring correctly and have the correct impedances.

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/amplifier-classifieds/593127-fs-hifonics-zeus-z600-300w-x-2-amplifier-perfect-working-order-clean-b-sound.html i would recommend getting used, that budget amp is a decent deal with globs of power. make sure you learn how to set your gains properly via the help section.

Are these car audio brands good????? - Yahoo! Answers just a lil read for you if you have spare time.

I would also maybe look into a 5 ch amp. If all you need is 300rms for the sub most 5ch amps should supply that on the sub output. This way you can save some money on only installing one amp and only having to buy one amp.

I would also maybe look into a 5 ch amp. If all you need is 300rms for the sub most 5ch amps should supply that on the sub output. This way you can save some money on only installing one amp and only having to buy one amp.
Could you recommend a amp?

Well, it is not going to be overly top quality... So preferably a setup under $150AUD. So... 142.14USD?

Last edited by a moderator:
no i would not recommend this

this would be a lot better for similar price as that kenwood.

New Precision Power BK5805 5 Channel 580W RMS A B Car Audio Amplifier 580 Watt | eBay

specs here http://www.precisionpower.com/html-version/products/amps/BK580-5.html

OR you can stick with your original idea with using two channels for all your speakers and the other two channels for the subs http://www.ebay.com/itm/Precision-Power-PPI-P900-4-P9004-Phantom-Class-D-4-Ch-900W-Car-Amplifier-Amp-/300992610793?pt=Car_Amplifiers&hash=item46148ec1e9&vxp=mtr this 4 channel amp would have more power and run more efficiently than both of the previous options.

Burgo is your total budget $150, or is the $150 for one component?

As you know mate, over here stuff is dearer, or we buy from the US and pay the freight, but $150 is not going to buy much either way.

Just $150 - 200 AUD for the Amplifier:/

Is it a necessity to buy from US? Australia has some decent gear, i'm just after something online recommended in Australia due to being in a remote area. I'm not going to spend a heap of money on this car. It's not really worth it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif But surely $150-$200 AUD would get me something decent/reasonable?

Oh well, i have bitten the bullet and got the amplifier recommended by Jeff: Picture 4 of 8 for Precision Power PPI P900.4

So i guess i am going to have 4 speakers running on 2 channels and the 2 subs on the other 2 channels. Is their a recommended way to wire this all up? Maybe a diagram or something?

*12v Positive wire from battery to fuse and fuse holder, wire from fuse holder through firewall bushing to car accessories, then to positive power block, which splits 2 ways, one to the amplifier one to stereo?

*Ground wire from bare metal on car to ground power block, splits 2 ways, one to the amplifier and one to the stereo?

*2 front speakers(or left) to the amp(on one channel), 2 rear speakers(or right) to the amp(on one channel).

*Open subwoofer box and separate the speakers so they are not joined, run them to a new terminal plate made for 2 separate subs, each sub has its own channel on the amplifier.

Anyone have a suggestion for a wiring kit?

These are the diagrams.

your speakers are rated at 60 watts rms so if i were you i'd go with the 2nd diaghram wiring them to 8 ohms because the first option will give you 225 rms per pair will be too much for them to handle.

2_4ohm_svc_2ohm.gif

basically positives of each speaker to positive of amp and negatives of each speaker to negatives to amp. if you have speakers with higher power handling like around 100 watts rms, then i would switch to this wiring.

2_4ohm_svc_8ohm.gif

basically positve of one speaker to the positive of the amp and then Negative of the OTHER speaker to the negative of the amp. then link the remaining pos and negative of each speakers with a jumper/speaker wire. This is gonna take some work hiding the wires through the carpet and such so good luck!

Front Left = front speakers

Front right = rear speakers or vice versa

have HPF anywhere from 63 to 125, normally 80 is a good choice since its your sub's LPF point

Rear left and right = sub woofers each on their own channel as you said. Make sure you turn the LPF on and have it around 80hz

for power and ground you don't need to run anything dealing with power and ground to your head unit. just hook the wire up positive of the batter to positive of the amp. Then use the negative battery terminal it'll be more stable then a body ground (less noise from ground loops) and hook it to the negative terminal of the amp.

you'll have a 4 channel RCA signal wires in your amp wiring kit you will hook that into to the back of your head unit. This is what carries the audio signal from your head unit to the amp.

NOTE: Always run your power wires on a separate side from your RCA signal wires. so lets say i install the amp to my rear back seat, i'll have the power and grounds running through my driver's side and my RCAs running through from the passenger's side. If you dont do this, there will be a lot of noise in your system.

Now for the Remote (blue wire). If you're using After market Stereo there will be a blue wire coming from the wire harness in the back, mostly these are attached so you have to splice, just snip them and tape off the old end and run your remote wire to your amp. This will tell your amp when to turn on or off.

for the kit you'll want 4 gauge wiring to match your amp's requirements.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KnuKonceptz-TRUE-4-Gauge-4-Channel-Kolossus-OFC-Amp-Installation-Wiring-Kit-/390675795868 knukonceptz wire is very high quality with oxygen free copper inside them.

After your all done with the wiring and everything works, you'll need to adjust your gains (level adjustment on your amp next to hpf) properly in order not to blow anything in the long run. A good method would be to use the digital multi-meter to set the gains. If you dont have access to one then you can set it by ear also. Just let us know when your at that stage but before that leave your gains very minimal like at 1/6 or 1/5 just so you can test if your speakers are working.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.