Will this mono amp work for 2 subs

Participant count
  • Participant list

kolkim

Hey I'm trying to see if this will work. I currently have the "pioneer gm-d8500m" mono amp rated at 600rms and 1200 peak. Specs also say 600 Watts x 1, at 2 ohms, 300 Watts x 1, at 4 ohms

I've been running one sub but now I would like 2 12" subwoofers called the "infinity Kappa 120.9w" each rated at 350rms with 1400w max output. Their impedence can be switched from 2 ohm to 4 ohm. Together they make 700 rms and use 85.71% of the 600W RMS amp.

I'm new at this and my questions are

1. Is this setup doable with the mono amplifier and the impedence or do I need a new amp

2. Is that amp going to damage the subs? I hear not to go below 75% and I'm at 85% but I've also heard that its better to go over than under.

^^^Yup. That way you're at a 2 ohm final load enabling you to pull around 600 from the amp. It's funny, I had the same setup a few years back with the same amp. Lol! It worked very well for me. I put the subs in a 4 cu. ft. box tuned at 32. Some of the nicest sounding bass I've had. The Kappa's are great subs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.