Adding Second Amp. Need Help Choosing Wiring.

Participant count
  • Participant list

ekmgray

Hey guys, I drive a 2001 Dodge Durango. I currently have an Alpine Mono Amp thats running at 500w RMS at 2 Ohms, through a 4 Gauge Power Wire, Powering an Alpine Type R. I would like to add a Pioneer gm-d8604 Amplifier, which runs 100w x 4 RMS at 4 ohms, for my four Alpine Type R 60-c door speakers.

I would like to know if I can run my 4 gauge power wire to a distribution block (should it be a fused one?), and have two 8 gauge power wires running from the d-block to the separate amplifiers. Or is it too much power for those size wires?

Also, should i upgrade my stock speaker wires? to what gauge?

Yeah man its not too good of a idea let me get you the link to some cheap 4 gauge I just saw... best to do another run of 4 gauge or run one 0 gauge into a distro and 2 4 gauge outs...

its a little sketchy if u run the 4 gauge from the battery to the block. i would upgrade it to 2 or even 0 gauge. then u can run 2 4 gauges out of the block to the amps

A single 4 gage split into two with a distroblock would be fine for those 2 amps. The 4 channel will average much lower than 100 per channel, you could even get away with 8 gage for that.

BTW each 3 wire gage steps is a X2 in cross section, which means a 4 gage is equivalent to two 7 gage wires. More than enough for 2 amps that want 8 gage.

@maylar
Just to be clear.

Battery---> 4gauge input with 100amp fuse ----> distro block -----> two 4 gauge output (no fuses) ------> amps
put a ; behind @Maylar no spaces.

And yes. make sure your distribution block had the right fuse. Check your amps manual

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.