Adding Capacitor to my amps

In the 90's we used caps to prevent the lights from dimming on Bass notes while driving at night. And yes you could tell a difference with a cap installed with the headlights, but not musically you were not louder. I swear I saw an article that tested an amp with a cap installed and uninstalled and if I remember correctly the amp did perform better dynamically, but worse on the dyno at 1%thd and at clipping.
Most of the devices and tools used to measure amplifiers are not correct in the first place. I've measured electrical systems for years that's what I do for a living and I can tell you right now that voltage sag and current stabilization is important in an amplifier . It's a lot less strenuous on the power supply and it does provide current so you don't get that voltage sag ordered voltage drop which ultimately will give you more output properly designed you will see small output games from voltage stabilization in particularly works well on very Dynamic passages.

In the 90's we used caps to prevent the lights from dimming on Bass notes while driving at night. And yes you could tell a difference with a cap installed with the headlights, but not musically you were not louder. I swear I saw an article that tested an amp with a cap installed and uninstalled and if I remember correctly the amp did perform better dynamically, but worse on the dyno at 1%thd and at clipping.
Oh so your o/s? This isn't the 90's anymore holmes. Change in technology is/has gotten better....therefor caps ARE NOT needed, again, once the electrical is beefed up. Welcome to 2017.

Oh so your o/s? This isn't the 90's anymore holmes. Change in technology is/has gotten better....therefor caps ARE NOT needed, again, once the electrical is beefed up. Welcome to 2017.
Where did I say they were needed? Just stating how they were used. Half of you here weren't around then. Not that many had a second battery and almost no one did a big 3 upgrade.

Sorry you are so sensitive to a capacitor... Did one hurt your feelings before... Maybe one got rough with you? Let it go man

A 1F cap stores around 40J of usable energy in a 14v system.

One J is one watt-second. 40w-sec in relation to a ~1000w amplifier is obviously, close to nothing -- considering a ~1000w sub amp will be generating several hundred watts instantaneously when the bass hits.

Add to that the cap's internal resistance (ESR) and the losses in wiring, and it is actually very close to nothing.

If you're using a big cap, they store more energy but generally have higher ESR (less efficient) and take longer to charge.

Caps are used correctly when they're designed into the amp's power supply. Beyond that, they are a profit tool for audio retailers and not much more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where did I say they were needed? Just stating how they were used. Half of you here weren't around then. Not that many had a second battery and almost no one did a big 3 upgrade.
Sorry you are so sensitive to a capacitor... Did one hurt your feelings before... Maybe one got rough with you? Let it go man
Think I may have read that wrong

A TRUE installer should know caps are not need once an electrical system is beefed up.
what lol you realize capacitors are used in nearly every electrical device you use

ill keep it easy for anyone reading this..

these are the capacitors that you want:

(supercapacitors with 3000f each, or about 500f per bank)

maxresdefault.jpg

SB500-turn.jpg

these are not the capacitors you want:

PCBLK3.5_MAIN.JPG

5f or lower

if you dont know what you're talking about read this:

Capacitor

if you have no idea how capacitors with the appropriate capacitance can help don't try to explain it

I run maxwell ultra capacitor banks with high output alts and adequate wiring....but I know nothing //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fro.gif.c695f1f814b01c4ad99fe7f8cccadd29.gif
fixed.

We all know what kind of caps the people who ask questions in threads like these are going to buy/install LOL.

Put a car audio battery (shuriken, kinetik, juicebox, etc) near your amps. Research how many amp hours you need for your total wattage application. Cheap, effective.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.