adding another Battery

Participant count
  • Participant list
I would do the BIG 3 under the hood first if you haven't already......That sometimes in itself will solve dimming issues....Use good quality wire the same gauge or bigger than your main power wire feeding amplifier and if you still have dimming issues after that you could probably get by with a small audio battery like a Kinetic 600......

3000 watts is a little different ball game than the 1700 you said in the other post!!!!!......You need a larger Car Audio battery then........Get an XS Power D3100 or XP3000..............I have one of each and LOVE THEM BOTH....

Ya Hifonics is class D RMS power so its 3400 but thanks for your help. how would i install it tho, so its always charging or do i even need to do that? a battery isolated or something?

3000 watts is a little different ball game than the 1700 you said in the other post!!!!!......You need a larger Car Audio battery then........Get an XS Power D3100 or XP3000..............I have one of each and LOVE THEM BOTH....

Yea for 3k id go with one of those choices. i need to upgrade my batts i have 3 miss matching batts that suk lol, however my voltages isnt horrible for i upgraded my alt. im about to be running my amp at .5ohm for 3400rms in the near future so yea im looking for batts as well.

You need to connect the two batteries together with a large enough power cable to carry the current (0 ga more than likely)......Then ground the rear battery to the FRAME if possible with no paint at connection.....Scuff it up good so there is a SOLID connection.......Then run your amp wires back off of the top of the rear battery.....It will be wired kinda like you would with a CAP if you have ever used one......Your alternator will charge them both just fine......I went without an AGM charger for a long time without problems............

I don't understand how you figure 3k out of a BRZ 1700, but I want one like u got. What battery do you have under the hood? If you have an AGM deep cycle like the HC 1200, you should have the same type of battery under the hood. Ideally, you want all of your batteries alike...but at a minimum, the same TYPE. I would run like a HC2000 under the hood and go from there, adding in the rear as needed. I bet if you have the Big 3 and had a HC 2000 under the hood, you would not have much dimming at all, but if so, then another HC2000 would be a perfect add in to the back. Yeah, you can get by mis-matching sizes, but when you mis match types, you are asking for failure. Either the regular "Starting Battery"will fail from being pulled down too far, too often, or the AGM may not get into the right "memory"and fail to keep/acheive max charge after a short period of time...It is just a gamble I, personally, choose to avoid. I do not like to gamble like that.

peace out-

Yeah you prob could start with your under the hood battery first......I personally like the XS POWER D series for under the hood applications...

You need to connect the two batteries together with a large enough power cable to carry the current (0 ga more than likely)......Then ground the rear battery to the FRAME if possible with no paint at connection.....Scuff it up good so there is a SOLID connection.......Then run your amp wires back off of the top of the rear battery.....It will be wired kinda like you would with a CAP if you have ever used one......Your alternator will charge them both just fine......I went without an AGM charger for a long time without problems............
this..I use just a regular Schumacher automatic charger with deep cycle selection and a selectable 10 amp charge rate. I use the 10 amp/deep cycle and no problems. The key to using the charger is to not charge them with too much amperage, like 15amps because heat can build up too much causing the battery to swell, or pop a seal somewhere, rendering the battery useless. Again a gamble I choose to avoid.

this..I use just a regular Schumacher automatic charger with deep cycle selection and a selectable 10 amp charge rate. I use the 10 amp/deep cycle and no problems. The key to using the charger is to not charge them with too much amperage, like 15amps because heat can build up too much causing the battery to swell, or pop a seal somewhere, rendering the battery useless. Again a gamble I choose to avoid.
I meant I went without a CHARGER PERIOD!!!!!!........Not use the wrong type........I just relied on my 130a factory alternator to keep it topped off as long as you are NOT full tilt 24/7 it should be able to maintain.....Also recently I bought a Schumacher charger from Wally world that does regular, agm, or gel batteries and it works great!!!!!

I meant I went without a CHARGER PERIOD!!!!!!........Not use the wrong type........I just relied on my 130a factory alternator to keep it topped off as long as you are NOT full tilt 24/7 it should be able to maintain.....Also recently I bought a Schumacher charger from Wally world that does regular, agm, or gel batteries and it works great!!!!!
Gotcha. Yeah, just cruise around a little at low volume after pushing pretty hard to let things equalize. I have am old Allis Chalmers 30 hp diesel tractor with a shot electrical system. I run a Yellow Top on it and top it off every 3 or 4 months overnight with that Shumacher.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.