Adding an amp to a system

Participant count
  • Participant list

sully8895

FL
Ok, I am adding a second amp for my 2 back speakers. My only real question is, I have a capacitor ran to an amp allready. If I add this second amp by using a distribution block...would going from a 4gauge power wire from my capacitor split to two 4 gauge wires one going to my sub amp and one going to the new amp would my power be reduced or would the capacitor assist with the split. and also does using rca splitters ruin the quality?

~Matt

u should take your 4 ga power wire go to a block then from there go to your 2 amps. if u want u can do 1/0 wre and then go to the block. then u can use smaller wire to your amp. u might wana look in to the big 3 wire up grade. if that dont help get a battery for your back. a battery will cost 150 or more well u can spend like 80 or so for the wre. check you knu they make good wire for cheap.

yes you can route 4 awg from the batt to the cap then split off the cap to both amps. that would be just fine. more than three ring terminals on a cap post becomes dangerous as you increase the likelyhood of shorting with the other terminal rings. take care in your ring terminal connections and routing, and always use color coded wire for power and ground (even if you use black electrical tape to signify ground).

though not ideal as stiffening capacitors usually don't offer the benefits they are marketed for in most systems.

if you use 1/0 wire and step down to 4 awg at the amps, you need a fused distro block since the smaller wire needs to be fused for protection, unless you're using a 150A fuse at the battery on teh 1/0 and the larger main wire is just to reduce voltage drop.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.