Adding a battery

sjv13
10+ year member

StayStrange
I went in to the local battery supply store today to find out the cost of a bigger battery for under my hood. I explained my situation (mild light dimming, no big 3, average battery under the hood). What the guy told me surprised me. He advised me to skip the big 3 and skip putting a bigger battery under the hood. He said I should just add a small battery (some kind that doesnt spill) to my current set up. What do you guys think about this? He has a 1200wrms set up of his own and has helped people out with their 5000watt systems before by adding this type of battery. He seems very educated and seems to know what he is talking about. What do you all think of this? The batt is $85 and that's a much more appealing price than a bigger batt under the hood and/or the big 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is the biggest load of bullshit ever. He's just trying to sell you a battery.

Come on, just a small battery to handle 5000 watts? Do the big 3 first to see if helps your dimming before you buy anything.

That is the biggest load of bullshit ever. He's just trying to sell you a battery.
Come on, just a small battery to handle 5000 watts? Do the big 3 first to see if helps your dimming before you buy anything.
Why wouldnt he try to sell me a bigger batt for under the hood then? He would make more money. I'm not arguing with you, just pointing that out

Why wouldnt he try to sell me a bigger batt for under the hood then? He would make more money. I'm not arguing with you, just pointing that out
That isn't entirely true. Depending on the price he gets the battery for, there could be a higher profit margin on the smaller battery than the bigger one.

Also if he makes multiple quick sales on small batteries, then he will make more money.

Like I said, you're better off just doing the big 3 to start with and go from there.

What would you be more inclined to buy? A $150 battery or a $85 battery? He's trying to make a sale. Do your big 3 first. That should be your first electrical upgrade anyway.

That isn't entirely true. Depending on the price he gets the battery for, there could be a higher profit margin on the smaller battery than the bigger one.
Also if he makes multiple quick sales on small batteries, then he will make more money.

Like I said, you're better off just doing the big 3 to start with and go from there.
That's what I was thinking. I was really surprised when he said that. And I brought it up multiple times to ensure I was hearing him right haha.

I would do the big 3 first. It may solve the problem. If not, I would upgrade your front battery first (if it is not already an AGM).

Edit: How much power are you running, and how did you set your gains?

I would do the big 3 first. It may solve the problem. If not, I would upgrade your front battery first (if it is not already an AGM).
Edit: How much power are you running, and how did you set your gains?
I'm only running 800wrms. I'd like to run up around 1300 (upgrade to 1000w substage). Gains are set by ear. I was having all kinds of problems with a DMM. I made a thread that ended up being several pages long and couldnt get the DMM to give me a reading anywhere close to what it should have been around. The MRX-M50 is pushing the type R set at about half gain. The front stage I set by ear to match the substage.

EDIT: HU is 4v preouts.

Gain may be set too high. Distortion is difficult to hear in the sub stage. Either way, one decent battery should have enough reserve for 1000 watt sub stage.

If your gear is right in your sig your gain is set to high.

---------- Post added at 04:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 PM ----------

With 4v outs half is way to high. Clipping the amp kills voltage

If you added another battery, the big 3 is an essential upgrade anyways. And you had all your headunit eq's off while setting your gains, right?

Gain may be set too high. Distortion is difficult to hear in the sub stage. Either way, one decent battery should have enough reserve for 1000 watt sub stage.
If your gear is right in your sig your gain is set to high. 

---------- Post added at 04:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 PM ----------

With 4v outs half is way to high. Clipping the amp kills voltage
I set the gain that way because I also use a PAC Line Level control. I only have the PAC knob turned all the way up on songs lacking bass (i.e. not rap, dubstep, etc).

EDIT: out of curiosity, what would be a correct gain setting for 4v preouts if I wasnt using the PAC knob?

I set the gain that way because I also use a PAC Line Level control. I only have the PAC knob turned all the way up on songs lacking bass (i.e. not rap, dubstep, etc).
EDIT: out of curiosity, what would be a correct gain setting for 4v preouts if I wasnt using the PAC knob?
If you are using a line out you are definitely running the amp to hard. Look at the gain setting post in the amplifier section. Do it and if its not loud enough find the weak link and fix it

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.