adding more speakers to amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

trilex

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi: To start off with I am no tech person, so bear with me. Running a 5 channel Pioneer D9705 with a SW and 4x 75 RMS channels. Each channel goes via a passive crossover to 4 Ohm speaker and tweeter. I like to add one more speaker to each channel, but am lost on how to deal with impedance, so not to overtax my amp. Any advice / schematic is welcome

Not really an option. If you throw another set of speakers on the fronts or the four corners, you'll drop the impedance 0n two or all 4 of the 4x75 channels to 2 ohms. for a 25 watt gain and no appreciable volume difference. What specific speakers, how are you thinking of handling the crossover situation? This usually ends up spoiling any semblance of stageing you might have, not thinking itis a course of action you really want to take.

What is the goal?

Last edited:
You won't "overtax the amp, you're going to underdo the speaker". That's already low wattage. With the crossover you're dividing up the frequency already to use two speakers per channel. Without knowing speaker details, you're about to cut the wattage down. If it's good leave it as is, and add another amp, or maybe power the other set off the head unit.

Not really an option. If you throw another set of speakers on the fronts or the four corners, you'll drop the impedance 0n two or all 4 of the 4x75 channels to 2 ohms. for a 25 watt gain and no appreciable volume difference. What specific speakers, how are you thinking of handling the crossover situation? This usually ends up spoiling any semblance of stageing you might have, not thinking itis a course of action you really want to take.

What is the goal?
Thanks. That makes sense. It sounds pretty good as is.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...