A touchscreen headunit for my Corolla?

cybertron131

Florida
I don't know ANYTHING when it comes to car connection standards. I know PCs have IDE, sata, USB, e.t.c. but vehicles such as my 2013 Corolla S have a whole entire ocean of cables I've never dealt with before.

From what I could gather up, "DIN" seems to be the most popular term tossed around. How do I tell if I need a "1 DIN" or a "2 DIN" head unit?

The reason I want to get a headunit is so I don't have to use this horrible line-out converter in the horrible rear 6x9s that have horrible distortion at mid-volumes. I want to be able to have bass be it's own thing coming clean from the source, not this weird questionable converter.

Lets say I need a 2 DIN head unit. Do I need to splice any wires? I'd really not like to do any.

splicing if possible. If the only way to find out is to open it myself, I can. It's just I don't know what the hell I'm looking at.

Any suggestions please? Thank you

If you want a touchscreen device the double dins are quite nice. A double din will/should fit your vehicle but there is more to it.

Go to any vehicle stereo site and you will learn a lot. Most will show you what exactly will fit your vehicle.

Single or double din refers to the physical size of the head unit...any site will show and describe a variety of head units.

While replacing the oem stereo with an after market model will give you cleaner sound...generally...depends on what you buy...some are awful. You will not get a lot of power meaning bass/sub bass will be minimal at best because the head unit just does not provide enough power.

You will certainly have to work with the wiring...generally you can buy wiring harnesses and connectors that will connect from the existing connectors and to the new head unit. But depending on how your vehicle's infotainment system is also used for steering wheel controls, display controls, etc. you may lose one or more functions or perhaps none...it all depends.

Many people don't bother with rear speakers or just use them for fill. Instead the fronts are the primaries. Again it depends on what you want...it is your car after all.

I suggest you check out some of the websites, plug in your vehicle information and see what is available and then have a budget.

You can usually start out with a quite nice basic system consisting of a single din head unit, front speakers, various connectors, dash kit, harnesses, etc. for under $500 that will sound quite nice at moderate volumes. It will also be a good start should you decide to add an amp to provide more power to the fronts and have the capability to add a subwoofer for some good bass.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at the Kenwood DDX374BT , its a nice touch screen with time alignment, 4v pre-amps and 13 band eq. Get a metra harness that fits your car and you connect the metra harness to the kenwood harness and its plug and play

I don't know ANYTHING when it comes to car connection standards. I know PCs have IDE, sata, USB, e.t.c. but vehicles such as my 2013 Corolla S have a whole entire ocean of cables I've never dealt with before.From what I could gather up, "DIN" seems to be the most popular term tossed around. How do I tell if I need a "1 DIN" or a "2 DIN" head unit?

The reason I want to get a headunit is so I don't have to use this horrible line-out converter in the horrible rear 6x9s that have horrible distortion at mid-volumes. I want to be able to have bass be it's own thing coming clean from the source, not this weird questionable converter.

Lets say I need a 2 DIN head unit. Do I need to splice any wires? I'd really not like to do any.

splicing if possible. If the only way to find out is to open it myself, I can. It's just I don't know what the hell I'm looking at.

Any suggestions please? Thank you
yep, din is a standard used to describe the outer dimensions of the head unit, mainly referring to the height. The images I linked in this post show different widths, but that’s only due to scaling. Both units are the same width, but the bottom one is exactly twice the height

single din
4.-Pioneer-DEH-X6900BT.jpg

double din (aka 2 din)
41QRCbVFJRL.jpg

most touchscreens are double din

Also check out the Pioneer double dins. The AVH-X490BS is a 7" screen while the AVH-X390BS is a 6.2" screen. These units have (6) 4v preamps outputs for front/rear/sub, time alignment and 13 band equalizers. You can get the AVH-X490BS on Amazon for around $230 while the 390 is less than $200 last I checked. I have the 3800, which is the previous model year of the 390. The only difference is that I have HD radio while the 390 doesn't. The one that can compare to the 390 is the 2800 but I've noticed that the 390 is actually cheaper than the 2800 when you look up the price in Amazon. My wife has the 490 and she loves it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.