A Good Quality Sub at 500 Watts RMS?

legaspi89
10+ year member

Chino CA
I'm currently running a Bandpass Box with a 12 inch kicker comp inside along with an Exterminator amp feeding the sub 300 watts rms. I would now like to upgrade to a better quality box and sub that can take around 500 watts RMS. I listen to mostly Hip hop, but also listen to funk, disco, and oldies.

I like strong low end bass and at least decent thump Bass.

I am looking into the Alpine SWR-12D4 Type-R 12" in ported box like this one Amazon.com : R/T 300 Enclosure Series -318-12 Alpine - Single 12-Inch Slot Vented Sub Bass Hatchback Speaker Box with Labyrinth Power Port for Alpine Subs : Vehicle Subwoofer Boxes : Car Electronics.

Main concern is that I would like to know if I would be able to get somewhat of a decent Thump(That kickdrum type bass) with the Alpine setup that i just mentioned? Because with this sub and box seeing in the picture, i hardly get any thump bass, Just boomy.

[quote name='legaspi89']I'm currently running a Bandpass Box with a 12 inch kicker comp inside along with an Exterminator amp feeding the sub 300 watts rms. I would now like to upgrade to a better quality box and sub that can take around 500 watts RMS. I listen to mostly Hip hop, but also listen to funk, disco, and oldies.
I like strong low end bass and at least decent thump Bass.
I am looking into the Alpine SWR-12D4 Type-R 12" in ported box like this one Amazon.com : R/T 300 Enclosure Series -318-12 Alpine - Single 12-Inch Slot Vented Sub Bass Hatchback Speaker Box with Labyrinth Power Port for Alpine Subs : Vehicle Subwoofer Boxes : Car Electronics.

Main concern is that I would like to know if I would be able to get somewhat of a decent Thump(That kickdrum type bass) with the Alpine setup that i just mentioned? Because with this sub and box seeing in the picture, i hardly get any thump bass, Just boomy.[/QUOTE]

The sub I own would suit you well. It has very low Fs, so it will hit the lows well in the right box. It also handles up to 600w rms. I'm local to you, can give you a listen. @CSCStang already built a box for one of these, the guy liked it. I also love mine. SQ on these is awesome.

You'd want an SQ sub that can play clean into the 200hz range while still hitting down low. Most of the subs recommended on here wont have that great midbass response you are looking for unless you Really make your door speakers sound phenomenal. The subs recommended will get loud very loud and hit low though. However, might as well get a 1000 watt rms amp since most of these subs recommended handle way more than what they are rated for. What you are looking for can be better achieved with a 15 in a sealed box. A 12 in a ported box will take some proper enclosure tuning to get that sound you want. DEFINITELY do not get pre-made enclosures, they are utter garbage especially RT and atrend boxes.

Main concern is that I would like to know if I would be able to get somewhat of a decent Thump(That kickdrum type bass)
My system plays a pretty wide range, If you ever head down to orange county, hit me up for a demo and we can narrow down what kind of frequency response you are Really after. I also go to Western university of health sciences to visit my girl from time to time and its right next to where you are located too.

I appreciate the feedbacks. Jeff, I'm pretty looking for a sub that can produce good Good lows and with SOME ( doesn't have to be alot) Thump. Whatever sub that is, I dont want to drain my battery or anything like that since I'm already running 100 watts on the Alpine SPR speakers and 400 to my sub at the moment.

I appreciate the feedbacks. Jeff, I'm pretty looking for a sub that can produce good Good lows and with SOME ( doesn't have to be alot) Thump. Whatever sub that is, I dont want to drain my battery or anything like that since I'm already running 100 watts on the Alpine SPR speakers and 400 to my sub at the moment.
Give up some trunk space and do two of these in a sealed box JBL GTO1514D 15" Dual 4 ohm Grand Touring Series 1400W Subwoofer

It'll work well with your music choices. An 800-1000 watt rms amp should be manageable. Thing with ported boxes is, you really need to know what you want out of the sound or else you'll be re-doing the box over and over until you get it right. Sealed may not be as loud, but it sure takes up a lot less space and you can go with cone area to achieve the loudness and impact you need, plus it'll play a very wide range of frequencies.

the lows are in the box. keep buying that pre fab you'll be disapointed

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.