A bit confused about mono amp with internally parallel wiring

Participant count
  • Participant list

SD-Realtor

Texas
View attachment 26540974

Hello,

I have a questions that I'm sure is simple for many of you, but confusing to me. I am looking to purchase a Rockford Fosgate R250-1D mono amp. It is rated at 1x150 at 4 ohm, or 1x250 at 2 ohm. I will be hooking it up to a tactile transducer. The transducer is rated at 100-250 watts RMS, and per the instruction manual should be hooked up at 4 ohm, and is best with 150 - 250 watts rms fed into it.

My question is this - The amp says it's wired parallel internally, so when looking at it there are two positive terminals next to two negative terminals, like this I + I I + I I - I I - I It says that it is a 2 ohm minimum. All I want to do is make sure that if I hook up one of these transducers into it, it will be a 4 ohm connection, not 2 ohm, as I don't want to do any damage to the amp or speaker. Also, which positive and negative terminal would I connect to? Or does it even matter?

Based upon the specs I provided for the transducer, does it seem like this amp will be a good fit, pushing 150 w rms into it at 4 ohm, since it calls for 100-250w rms? This will be added to a stock monsoon setup which has a stock sub and factory amp, in a very small car with very limited space (Pontiac solstice), hence my desire for that amp with such a small footprint. I am open for suggestions, but the small footprint of the amp is critical and I like that this amp comes with the external volume/gain control.

I hope what I'm asking is coming out right and making sense. Thanks in advance for your input as to how to be sure I am hooking this up correctly to run this at 4 ohms. Any explanation to your answer will be appreciated.

there are two sets of positive and negative to make it easier to wire multiple subs. you can used either terminal and it would work for what your connecting. Power of amp is determined by the ohms of the sub you are hooking up to it.

GVP, Thanks for the reply. So the amp will only run at 2 ohms if you connect two 4 ohm speaker into the terminals. If I connect my one 4 ohm speaker to the amp, the amp will run at 4 ohms. The 4 terminals just makes it a convenient way to connect the two speakers, which will cut it down to 2 ohms. That makes sense now. I appreciate your help! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.