Amplifier stays on but subs cut out and amp voltage drops HELP!

Molinam123
10+ year member

I have 2 15 Kicker CVR's and a DS18 6000w Amp and I've been having this issue where my subs cut off (no matter how low the volume is) but my amp stays on. My amplifier has a digital voltage reader on it and when the subs are on it reads about 14.5 volts and when the subs cut out it reads 8.5 volts. Please Help!!!!

1. Could be a bad ground

2. May not have the electrical to support the amp.

3. Subs could be at too low of an ohm load

4. Amp is shot

Check them in that order then report back. If it is reading 8.5 volts regardless of the hu level, then any of these could be the culprit.

1. Could be a bad ground2. May not have the electrical to support the amp.

3. Subs could be at too low of an ohm load

4. Amp is shot

Check them in that order then report back. If it is reading 8.5 volts regardless of the hu level, then any of these could be the culprit.
The amp is brand new. It could be my battery i have a walmart everstart max battery?. subs are 4ohm. and I got my ground checked at an audio shop and they said its fine. Could it be my battery? Its brand new 2 days old

I doubt its any of the equipment (of course I could be dead wrong), its usually a bad connection. Its hard to diagnose electrical gremlins even in person so my suggestion would be to double check everything. You'd be surprised how many times I have completely taken apart my system and them reinstalled it and it work perfectly fine.

I got an mtx jackhammer 600 watt amp that is doing the same thing. Subs will make a pop at random times and the voltmeter on my cap will go to 12.4 for about 10 secs. I let my brother run my subs for a few days with no problems. Electrical system is fine, I am guessing the amp is garbage. The subwoofers seem to hit way harder hooked to my brother JL 500.1 amp..

We need more info......

Check all connections. Power to batt, fuses, ground. Where is ur ground at? How much power does that amp actually do at 4 ohms? How big is your fuse? What size power wire? Do you have the big 3 done? What's your alt size?

We need more info......
Check all connections. Power to batt, fuses, ground. Where is ur ground at? How much power does that amp actually do at 4 ohms? How big is your fuse? What size power wire? Do you have the big 3 done? What's your alt size?
Connections look to be all secure. I dont know where my ground is. Amp does 2500 rms at 4 ohm. Inline fuse is 100 amps. 4 guage wiring. Big 3 is not done //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Connections look to be all secure. I dont know where my ground is. Amp does 2500 rms at 4 ohm. Inline fuse is 100 amps. 4 guage wiring. Big 3 is not done //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
Well you can't do 2500rms without extra batts or a ho alt. 4gauge is not thick enough for 2500 rms, ground NEEDS to be to the frame, for 2500rms you need at least 250 amp inline fuse, and you need big 3 for even 1000 watts so you need that right away. Is unhook your amp b4 you fry it until you can get the electrical to support it!

I think I figured my problem out. It was the battery terminal after a lot looking. I scraped it with a knife and things seem to be good so far. I killed the amp. LOL Guess it was the amp to begin with.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.