99 Silverado Install_Need More Bass

Omega3dog
10+ year member

Que-rious
Let me know what you think of my 1st install.

-------------------------------------------------

For starters, my Kicker 10L5 finally died after 6 years. Therefore, I needed to replace my sub stage with as much bass as possible, without altering the functionality and utility of my 1999 Silverado Ext Cab.

I did not realized how large this task would become. My desire encountered multiple challenges, such as electrical, which sub brand, what size, ported vs sealed enclosure, SQ vs SPL, cost; all affected by space limitations.

The install included:

Eclipse 8v Head Unit - Re-used from my previous install

Boston Acoustics 620 (6.5")_Front - Re-used from my previous install

Boston Acoustics FX7 (4x6)_Rear - Re-used from my previous install

Kicker KX600.4 - Re-used from my previous install

Kicker SX1250 - Purchased on ebay

Fi 12Q D2- Purchased on ebay

DD3510 D2 - Purchased on ebay

Xstatic Powerpack - Purchased on ebay

Dynamat - Purchased on ebay

1/0 AWG power/ground wire

4AWG amp power wire

3 Fuse holders

2 Distibution boxes

Tylonal

Bunch of other stuff...

Now, here are the pics...

DSCN0607.jpg

DSCN0608.jpg

It took an entire day and tylonal to install 4 boxes of dynamat to the entire cabin. No vibrations or rattles at all. However, if you are looking for a quiet ride in a truck, consider covering up the vents behind the seat. I chose not to cover the vents. The ride is not as quiet as I wanted, but at least it does not sound like a bucket of bolts.

DSCN0610.jpg

DSCN0609.jpg

DSCN0614.jpg

DSCN0613.jpg

DSCN0615.jpg

I chose the Xstatic Powerpack (option 1)

DualBatteryvsPowerpack.jpg

DSCN0616.jpg

DSCN0618.jpg

Beneath the rear seat after installing the other equipment.

DSCN0633.jpg

Keep in mind, I did my own calculations and built the enclosures myself. My only disappointment is this...the vent calculator on the carstereo/help website http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31 is not so accurate when calculating vent length. For example, tuning a 1.5^3 enclosure to 35HZ using a vertical slot vent 4"w x 9"h, the calculated length is ~46". If the same vent is turned horizontal, the calculated length is 43"; resulting in a 3" varience for identical port areas. If someone logically understands why, please share.

The following two pics focus on the Fi 12Q enclosure...

I'm so glad I paid attention during my high school geometry, algebra and wood shop classes.

DSCN0591.jpg

DSCN0594.jpg

This is the DD3510 build project, with a bending slot port...

DSCN0592.jpg

DSCN0593.jpg

DSCN0595.jpg

DSCN0596.jpg

DSCN0597.jpg

DSCN0598.jpg

DSCN0599.jpg

I chose to design two systems. The variable surrounds two different sub setups. One setup included Fi 12Q sealed. And the other included a Digital Design 3510, ported at 38hz. I will keep the better sounding design and sell the other.

DSCN0600.jpg

DSCN0601.jpg

DSCN0602.jpg

DSCN0603.jpg

The better sounding enclosure will receive carpet.

DSCN0636.jpg

DSCN0631.jpg

DSCN0635.jpg

DSCN0634.jpg

[My benchmark is a Fi 15BL on 2000w in a hatchback.] The Fi 12Q sounds great, but it's still not enough bass. The Kicker 1250 gain is set at 6,5, with a 2.5db bass boost @ 35hz. I hope the system will produce a bit more bass with additional tweaking to the system. However, it sounds so much better than my old 10L5, bridged off of the 600.4.

Unfortunately, there are no pictures of the 3510, because ebay member lifeinthe760 sold a sub that didn't work at all. Unfortunately, I didn't discover the problem until I returned from a long trip. By then it was too late to do anything about it. I sent it to DD to have it re-coned.

So, what do you think?

Why use two different subs?

I did not know the difference between sq and spl setups, from experience. I've read of differences between the two, but I wanted to experience it for myself.

Every so often, I lie to myself by saying I only want a great sounding system to beef up my jazz. However, reality eventually kicks in at some point. And, I find myself listening to deep bass from some of the dirty south artists.

I figured the spacing limitaion would bring the two setups (sealed 12 vs ported 10) into similar output alignments. Therefore, I decided to test my theory.

As for the other parts of the setup, it's designed to allow for expansion. Most of the bass heads I spoke with started out small and ended up replacing the entire system. This setup allows me to expand equipment in phases, if I chose, without replacing wiring, fuse holders, etc.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.