'99 Silverado custom center console/enclosure

what sub ? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

you know what sub, it's for your **** truck.........//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

How deep did you cut through? 5/8"? Using birch and 5/8" deep cuts .5" apart did not bend well at all and it had to be completely soaked to get a decent curve. I'm assuming MDF bends easier though...

Thought I would post these sketch pics. Soon I will have a center console enclosure for two 10" Treo tsx10.44. And a laptop mount directly in front of the console for GPS.

Which one would look better? I don't have the center space dimensions, but you can get the idea of what I want in the area.

Anyone got any better console designs? I want leather or vinyl for the sides and fiberglass for the top. Post'em up!

cosnole4sz0.jpg

consoleccssjy0.jpg

laptopmountvg1.jpg

How deep did you cut through? 5/8"? Using birch and 5/8" deep cuts .5" apart did not bend well at all and it had to be completely soaked to get a decent curve. I'm assuming MDF bends easier though...
actually birch is a little easier to bend without cracking than MDF from what I've played with.

I do mine deeper than 5/8", I only leave about 1/8" left, but couldn't say really, because I just eyeball the depth on the tablesaw and get to work, but when it's done, when I pick it up, it'll just flop over 90 degrees if I let it, it's so flexible.

actually birch is a little easier to bend without cracking than MDF from what I've played with.
I do mine deeper than 5/8", I only leave about 1/8" left, but couldn't say really, because I just eyeball the depth on the tablesaw and get to work, but when it's done, when I pick it up, it'll just flop over 90 degrees if I let it, it's so flexible.
When I was kerfing my birch, I did .5" spacing and I only left about an 1/8" as well but the wood would not bend anywhere near 90* when I picked it up. I did a test piece that wasn't as wide and treated it the same way and it bent like a champ and was very flexible. I had to soak the wood in water to get a 90* bend and it took me almost 30 minutes to get it to shape and then is cracked. Lame salad.

Here is what the finished product should look like. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
yea4.jpg

yea3.jpg

yea2.jpg

yea1.jpg

sub will be a DD 9510G

So he's making it for you Corey?? Looks badazz!!!! I might be needing your help in the future with trying some glassing. Idk if I will yet but if I do I'll get ahold of ya..

Rich, as always your stuff is top notch!

Jon

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.