'99 Silverado custom center console/enclosure

actually birch is a little easier to bend without cracking than MDF from what I've played with.
I do mine deeper than 5/8", I only leave about 1/8" left, but couldn't say really, because I just eyeball the depth on the tablesaw and get to work, but when it's done, when I pick it up, it'll just flop over 90 degrees if I let it, it's so flexible.
So you using 1" mdf? LOL. Just had to say something. 5/8+1/8=3/4...

Looks awsome.

So you using 1" mdf? LOL. Just had to say something. 5/8+1/8=3/4...
Looks awsome.
lol, math>me, I guess.............//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

No, the bend was with the grain on both pieces and the two pieces came from the exact same section of wood. The only difference was the width of the wood but that should NOT make a difference... I'm baffled. Test pieces just never work for me; they lie and actually work perfect but the actual cut never does the same thing as the test piece.
33bivti.png

The red piece was the test while the blue was the real piece. Both were cut to the same length, same depth, same spacing, and same grain layout. The test piece went right where it should but the real piece didn't. It ended up working but was a ***** and a half.

This semi-final product looks really nice! I'm jealous.
I meant that each layer of the ply goes at right angles to the one next to it. Even though your bend is with the grain that you can see, the grain on the next layer down is perpendicular. Were you kerfing through all but the final layer?

I meant that each layer of the ply goes at right angles to the one next to it. Even though your bend is with the grain that you can see, the grain on the next layer down is perpendicular. Were you kerfing through all but the final layer?
Ah, I didn't know that. I'm not sure now if I left one or two layers but I do know that it was the same depth for the both the test piece (that bent beautifully) and the final piece.

I guess the width would make a difference if I didn't cut all the way through to the first layer because the grain would be stronger with the second layer.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.