96 Range Rover HUGE Ghetto Install Rebuild

Also, the guy complained the gauges didnt work after i was done
thats actually probably your fault.

My girlfriend has a jetta, and the first time through i wired up her antenna wrong to her aftermarket HU. Because of this, none of the dash lights worked until i fixed it.

I dont know...the antenna wire was cut in the truck when i got it, and there was loose wires all over the place, one looked like a cable wire for a TV, and another was like a data plug of some sort, like a 21 pin, i just let those chill there as i had no idea where they went. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif But i hardwired a full size antenna tip onto the antenna wire and it worked fine as far as radio reception goes. Probably a blown fuse or something, ill call the guy tommorow and check to see if he found out anything.

What i dont get is the only factory wires i tapped into was the acc wire, and the ground, everything else is just back there dangling. I didnt mess with none of the cut wires that i didnt need to, i just tested my wires i needed and went on about my bidness.

Also, the guy complained the gauges didnt work after i was done, i never touched the gauges so i have no idea why they wouldnt work, as far as im concerned its all the faulty wiring, i told him to take it to a dealer and have it checked because i was tired of it.
Problem is that you wired the HU incorrectly. I had the same thing happen to me in my truck. It had something to do with having to connect the ground to the back of the HU or something of the like. It was the strangest thing I have seen in my 12 years of installing!

I dont know...the antenna wire was cut in the truck when i got it, and there was loose wires all over the place, one looked like a cable wire for a TV, and another was like a data plug of some sort, like a 21 pin, i just let those chill there as i had no idea where they went. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif But i hardwired a full size antenna tip onto the antenna wire and it worked fine as far as radio reception goes. Probably a blown fuse or something, ill call the guy tommorow and check to see if he found out anything.

What i dont get is the only factory wires i tapped into was the acc wire, and the ground, everything else is just back there dangling. I didnt mess with none of the cut wires that i didnt need to, i just tested my wires i needed and went on about my bidness.
meh, either way its a good chance its your fault if you redid all the wiring behind the dash.

d*ck move if you dont figure it out...

Please don't ever touch another vehicle without proper knowledge of what the install entails. Seriously. "Cable wire for a TV" - I assume someone cut the end off of the rear cd changer cable. "21 pin" - 96-97 RR were sold with Motorola cell phone connections off of the Harmon Kardon HU.

20 minutes of research on those two items could have saved you from a lot of the hassle you went through.

Maybe if this truck wasnt full of foreign ******** and torn apart by hood *****s id be fine with the install. I wired the radio up the way it was wired before, just without speaker wires running through the truck, and i added a constant wire that wasnt present before. I will never work on another range rover though. But if the problem continues i will tell the guy to bring it back and try that HU ground thing. I didnt like leaving it screwed like that but i have no ****ing idea how the radio ground has anything to do with the gauges //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Maybe if this truck wasnt full of foreign ******** and torn apart by hood *****s id be fine with the install.
Maybe you shouldn't have touched it then //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Well i had the guy bring the truck back to me the other day and he wasnt mad about it or anything, we both messed with it for about an hour and i traced some wires and discovered the factory wires to power the gauges were cut and capped off by someone. I tested these and they only put out 5v so theres an underlying electrical issue somewhere.

When i took the radio out the first time i noticed those wires and thought they were just speaker wires hanging there (2 purple wires) but they traced back to the gauges. I put them on the switched 12v wire and now everything works fine. Someone had actually bypassed the factory gauge cluster power wire and ran it off the HU power due to the 5v issue, so i put it back like it was and left it alone. I just didnt notice it the first time as they mustve came loose when i pulled the radio.

Everything else is fine now though. Glad i got that straightened out. Also removed the cell phone antenna and factory cd changer cable, as well as the other crap that was left over.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

not sure if it's already been said..but those are dual speakers..the one set of terminals is for the ugly blue led lights they have.

edit:

check that speaker for LEDs. That looks like a dual brand speaker that has LEDs. The extra set of wires would be for the power....
it pays to read.. you get paid for not reading in shame. apparently i rake in the shame^

edit 2: had those speakers in my first car.. the white and black are the speaker wire. red and black for the lights. not sure if it really matters, but that's my $.02

I have the same headunit sitting beside me, mint never used //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif, going to be installing it and a cha-5614 cd changer when I do my build.

Gotta love the old ones, 4v sub out.

nice. i put in 3 systems last week. tinted 2 peoples tails. didnt even have enought time for my own vehicle.

its ok man youll get use to it. plus the cash is nice.

good job!

Wow, reminds me of my friend's 99 or 00, can't remember.

He had modified the airbags and put aftermarket ones in with switches. He had 4 15" Fosgates with a couple Boss amps powering them and a ported box that was probably too small for 4 15's. JL 300/4 he got a deal on with sixteen speakers hooked up to it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Thing was a disaster of a wiring job, especially with the 5 total batteries he had. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

It did hit hard though. Not as hard as it should with 4 15's obviously, but it would hurt your ears pretty nicely.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.