'95 Pontiac Firebird. 6 Stock speakers. Wiring/HU/Amp Suggestions/help?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Atayeu

NY
The Deal:

My Firebird has 6 stock speakers. I would like to upgrade my Head Unit.

Speaker Locations:

2+tweets in front door. 2 in back seats. 2 in trunk.

Can't seem to find a head unit that offers 6 channels instead of 4.

Is there such a thing? If not would I need to buy a 4 channel head unit AND an amp to power the remaining 2?

Also heard of bridging 4 of the speakers. Is this an effective method?

Gear suggestions are highly appreciated!

Thanks everyone for your input in advance!

Skip the back speakers. You can put coaxials in the sail panels at the rear seat if you need sound coming from behind you. You can put a good set of 6.5" components in the front doors. It may require adapter baffles for an oversized woofer. You'll want to replace the amplifier as well.

I'm decent with pro audio but still a newbie when it comes to car audio. Let's see if i have this right. Component speakers have the tweeter seperate from the speaker? So it would fit my door

Component Speakers are one single driver?

and When you say Sail panel you're referring to the head level backseat speakers?

(can't contain image site wont let new posts put url images)

So that would work.

And for the rear speakers why remove them if i already have them installed?

Not really looking to upgrade the speakers tho just the head unit. and then add a sub or two in the future.

I can see removing the rears for the placement of the subwoofer in the trunk for the future due to maybe the sub being too loud and drowning them out?

I also do not currently have an amp installed. the Stock head unit I believe supplies all 6 current speakers with power.

So what should i do about the head unit if i wish to just upgrade that first.

Just install a new hu most likely there is only a 4ch in there and a factory crossover located somewhere else, crossovers will split signal in front to the speaker in door and separate tweet.

Wasn't counting the tweeters. If i count them as separate speakers i have 8! But i do agree with your statement.

However I'm still left questioning If i upgrade to a 4ch HU then i'll need to either bridge 2 sets or buy an additional amp so each has their own power supply. (Not counting the tweeters). Which is better? (and of course this is if there arn't such thing as 6 ch post production HUs)

Still probably a 4ch hu with factory amp/processor just get the wiring harness adapter and wire it to new hu then clip it into factory harness all speakers should still work as did before.

I've worked on a similar car. Trust me, you're better off not using the speakers in the far back hatch area. There's an amplifier next to the spare tire. You can only fit a single DIN radio with a standard dash kit.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.