8v output???

springer
10+ year member

i have a pioneer p5000dvd with 4v outputs on it. what are some different ways to get 8v to my amp? cheapest? nicest? whatever. dont need anything too fancy, just looking to get more voltage to my sub amp. just want some different ideas. money is not a huge issue, but factors in. thanks.

what are some different ways to get 8v to my amp?
If you don't have a noise problem, then there's no reason to up the pre amp voltage. If you do add an Audiocontrol anything to the signal chain, you can expect noise. Hotter signal carrying louder noise = no bueno.

A line driver can get you a higher S/N ratio, but in most cases it's not worth it. Amps have gain pentameters for a reason.

If you don't have a noise problem, then there's no reason to up the pre amp voltage. If you do add an Audiocontrol anything to the signal chain, you can expect noise. Hotter signal carrying louder noise = no bueno.
A line driver can get you a higher S/N ratio, but in most cases it's not worth it. Amps have gain pentameters for a reason.
I was always told a high pre-volt = lower noise floor

Or he is assuming that from reading posts or from years ago that all Audio Control gear makes noise...... installed properly I have yet to have a item that made noise in a system. Perhaps this might have been a issue 15 years ago (and yes there was a time 15 years or more ago that Audio Control made some equipment that had noise issues but it was more install related). The new equipment works just fine and unless it is a installation issue or a bad product right out of the box issue, I would not expect any noise.

yeah but a line driver can also pick noise up and make it greater, if its present before it gets to it..

i might be wrong but i've heard the main reason for a line driver (besides very very low preouts) is that they're designed to be placed more towards the front of the car.. and the strengthed signal would be less likely to pick up noise on its trip to the trunk..

also make sure your amp can take 8v

Any device added to the signal chain will add noise, especially analog and especially in a car.

Also, an 8v preout rated HU almost never puts out 8v as that's a max rating just like an amp that's rated at max RMS. Based on preout voltage alone, a HU with a hotter signal doesn't sound better than it's lower preout voltage counterpart. If you really want to acheive the most in this area you need a hot signal combined with a low output impedance (like Eclipse.) This topic has been been beaten to death on this and other car audio forums.

if u don't mind me asking, why do u need 8 volts to ur amp?
not real sure actually... just want to play around. i know you are supposed to match your amp "gain" to your preout voltage rather than using it like a volume control so i figured getting a higher preout voltage would allow me to properly adjust the gain up higher. my theory could be all wrong, never had any experience in this. that is how you learn though, just try **** and either it works or not. either way, always nice to learn new ****...

ok quick question is the preout voltage measured on one or both . i know its a really noob question but ive always wanted to know . ide check myself but its to cold and i don't feel like going out side to check .sorry to thread jack but ive wanted to know for a while now

If you really want to acheive the most in this area you need a hot signal combined with a low output impedance (like Eclipse.)
Which is why I only use Eclipse decks...grabbing a used 8053/8443 for $150-200 is the best value around IMO.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.