8's in the door's what you think

Please enlighten me why an 8 ohm driver is better than a 4 ohm driver in a car audio application?
I did. You obviously didn't read the link I posted. And I didn't say it was necessarily better. It definitely can be though.

To sum up, in order to decrease the impedance of a coil you need to reduce the length of the wire in the coil. From 8 ohms to 4 ohms you would have to decrease the length of the wire by half. This is also directly related to sensitivity. The shorter the wire, the less the impedance, and the less the sensitivity of the driver. Cut the length in half, you decrease sensitivity by 3 db. That equates to a half the output.

So, with a 3 db loss of sensitivity and double the power, you have the same output as half the power and a 3 db gain in sensitivity. So, there's really no difference between an 8 ohm and 4 ohm when it comes to output from the same amp. In fact 8 ohms can be beneficial, as no amp can actually double it's power with half the impedance. That's 100% efficiency. Just doesn't happen.

That's the short and quick of it.

To the OP, the Mach Audio MLI65s are quickly becoming the front runners in their price range. Zaph, of http://www.zaphaudio.com thinks very highly of them. The Dayton's were very good for the money, but they can't compete with the Mach.

if 8's wont fit in the doors, then you simply need to get a different car //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

woofer1zt6.jpg

not true.
also, not true.
I just want to get this clarified...

3 db gain IS NOT double the volume?

3 db loss IS NOT half the volume?

Also,

You know of amps that operate at 100% efficiency as the load drops by half?

I obviously need to be educated.

Please enlighten me why an 8 ohm driver is better than a 4 ohm driver in a car audio application?
Depends on the application, both my Peerless mids and LPG tweets are 8ohm drivers, they seem to do very well on my Next VRz4.400 rated 4x82@4ohms. It depends on the amplifier as well. Take my Linear Power 2.2HV, being that it is a high voltage amp, when you increase impedance, say from 4 to 8 ohms, this increase causes a decrease in current, seeing that current and voltage are inversely proportional, voltage increases for the same power produced, basically the amp produces the same amount of power possibly more, and runs COOLER at the same time.

He also never said either was better, if you re-read what he said, you can obviously use both, I have been for nearly a year and couldn't be happier w/ my front stage.

not true.
also, not true.
If they're not true, why don't you actually post something to back it up instead of just discrediting him w/ no real information to help your cause. I'm not saying either is side is write or wrong, but at east he used something to help his side, you didn't.

seems fine except the fact they are 8 ohm drivers and are hard to work into a car audio system.
seems that they are also a 6.5 and not an 8
8 ohm drivers are easier to work into a car audio system. Read some more before you respond differently.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.