Best 6 1/2's for a boat?

ssteve
10+ year member

Hey guys, I have a friend with a wakeboard boat and he is looking to replace the stock kenwoods. The amp thats running them is a boston gt42 I believe. He already has 2 12" W7's in it so this would pretty much be the last thing he needs, what would be his best bet?

not overly worried about weather and stuff cause the boat is always covered, so do you think a marine speaker is needed. cause it seems like there is a lot of good deals to be had on non marine grade 6 1/2's

if they are not for the tower, which can get rained on at any time, you dont need to go with marine speakers. If they are in a place where people are splashing getting in and out of water i would reccomend a marine speaker. Otherwise,, he will be just fine with non marine speakers. if the back is going to be exposed to a fair amount of moisture, can always add a cheap foam baffle. Since boat audio takes a pretty good beating, he will probably be replacing them every couple of years anyway. I know i do.

Just have to remember, water seems to get everywhere on a boat no matter how careful you are, so unless it is a show boat, where no one is getting in and out of the water. It will be best to stick with a marine speaker. Ive installed my fair share and was pretty impressed with Soundstreams, along with Polks as mentioned. Otherwise there really is not much out there.

I'd recommend any driver with a non-paper cone. Poly, Aluminum, Magnesium, Kevlar are all fine. A rubber surround is a good idea too as some foams can seep moisture. Other than that any driver that you like the sound of will be fine.

Dont go with P.O.S. marine grade speakers. There really is no such thing as "waterproof" I have diamonds in the bow and we've flodded the front a couple of times and have completely drenched the speakers. Once they dry their jus as good as before. So go with a speaker in which sounds good and not by it being waterproof or not.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.