880prs pre out issue

Participant count
  • Participant list

Chaotic_Thought
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Okay so i have finally tracked down the source of one of my issues. The voltage output on the RCA's is not the same between all channels.

Fade and balance set to zero, all processing turned off. flat eq and filters set to pass. Front left channel will show a higher voltage when playing a test tone.

With DMM on the pigtails coming out of the head unit. No patch cables connected. I also have to ground the pre outs to get any voltage reading on the head unit.

Is this a fixable issue or is the head unit pretty much toast?

sorry only way I know to fix this problem is get another headunit. You should look into denon if you go that route
You can open it up and drop a dot of solder on them and it should fix the issue. There is a tutorial around somewhere.

You can open it up and drop a dot of solder on them and it should fix the issue. There is a tutorial around somewhere.
I know the tutorial you are talking about, i just have not hear anybody reference the difference in voltages, especially since only 1 channel is showing different out of the 4.

There's three in the 880/800 I believe. You can drop solder or solder in a strand of wire, but it's not the easiest thing since the fuses are about as thick as two hairs.

Same here. I did when I first had a system. I ran a 5800 or something, but immediately upgraded to an Eclipse and havent looked back.
The 5800 series is the lower line of Pioneer, if you owned something higher end from them I wonder if the same result would have occurred. I have owned them all, and currently run a Kenwood but have a 88prs stored away as it's one of the most versatile active decks you can get.

There's three in the 880/800 I believe. You can drop solder or solder in a strand of wire, but it's not the easiest thing since the fuses are about as thick as two hairs.
I only saw one. And i fixed it. It did remove the need to ground the RCA's, but did not fix the issue with the pre out voltage not being equal.

However on a whim i decided to turn off the internal amplifier and that seemed to be a big factor. I am still seeing variance between the channels, but they are not within .1v instead of the .3 and .4 difference.

Also, what should my preout voltage be with a 1khz tone? I am seeing .7v max at the head unit. I think the 880 is rated for 6v preout, but does that apply to all channels or just the non fading?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.