85 Monte SS - Trying It Myself

focused313
10+ year member

Learning With Every Post
Michigan
I have a 1985 Monte Carlo SS that I've decided to do my own trunk install with after being quoted north of $1,000 by 3 shops for an enclosure and trim panels. If it does turn out like crap, I'll just go back to a shop.

Equipment

Head Unit - KDC-X598 (Tablet is my main audio source)

Rear 6x9 - R169X3

Front Kickpanel Components - db5251

Mids/Hi Amp - Pioneer D8604

Subs Amp - Hifonics Brutus 2008D

Subs - 2 HDS312's (being changed to two 10" XFL's)

6pc8cn.jpg

16877vc.jpg

2ylodu9.jpg

xcnn5t.jpg

did u build those kicks that your front speakers are in? i like them. i had a '87 regal and built some myself. They were not as nice as yours though
They are made by Q-Logic. Expensive too, but I was able to snag them in an ebay auction.

you going to sell the sq 12"id be interested...

and i love them m.c. ss i had a 79 m.c. with t-tops and 350 i like it.
Yes I'm selling the SQ's, but only locally. I've posted them on craigslist but it seems like people are trade crazy. I'm not pressed to sell them as I have a few cars and there's no telling when I'll need some more subs.

Finally got some time in today to learn on the job...

Running cable through the firewall when you don't have the right size drill bit for 1/0 and a 4ga run...is a *****. My lil brother and I spend literally 35 minutes just getting those ran. I finished putting down the stinger roadkill in the trunk and it was a big difference in vibration from the "knock test." After covering most of the flat panels, I covered the rest of the trunk with Boom Mat spray. Tomorrow I plan on installing both amps and getting the mids/hi amp all wired up. I can't do anything with the sub amp...I'm still waiting for the enclosure, then I'll go get the subs.

electrical issues right now. Everything was playing fine, then I noticed my voltage was dropping....and it dropped all the way to the point the car didn't start again. I got my multimeter and checked my grounds and everything was under 1 ohm (perhaps I didn't check them correctly). I ran new, cleaned grounds from the alternator bracket and the block. I have 1/0 at the battery, to the starter, and to the positive alternator bolt.

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with my install, since it was working previously, but even after I disconnected the amps at the battery, the alternator still didn't seem to be charging correctly.

Hows your ground from the battery - to the block? Sorry if you stated that and I didnt see it
All were good, visually and tested below 1 ohm with the multi meter. I may have cut into a wire through the firewall. I hate that I threw my old alternator in the garbage, but I'll go get another temp one from the parts store tomorrow just to rule that out. I'm going to also put another battery in to see if it gets a charge. I've checked almost everything I know to check, so after that, I'll have to take the car to an auto-electrical shop. ahhhH!!!!

Bad alt, regulator or fuse?
the fuses were all good. I have limited computer controlled electronics in the car. Like I said, prior to my install, everything was working fine. The car still starts, but it's not being charged by the alternator at all. Very odd.

how long have u had those kick panels in there and how did u mount them to stay there? Im asking because when i mounted mine,i drill screws into the lower side panels and went right through my ecu....yep,i felt a lil stupid,lol

I have a 1985 Monte Carlo SS that I've decided to do my own trunk install with after being quoted north of $1,000 by 3 shops for an enclosure and trim panels. If it does turn out like crap, I'll just go back to a shop.
Equipment

Head Unit - KDC-X598 (Tablet is my main audio source)

Rear 6x9 - R169X3

Front Kickpanel Components - db5251

Mids/Hi Amp - Pioneer D8604

Subs Amp - Hifonics Brutus 2008D

Subs - 2 HDS312's (being changed to two 10" XFL's)

6pc8cn.jpg

16877vc.jpg

2ylodu9.jpg

xcnn5t.jpg
a 1000 dollars.... wow.... and how secure is that tablet on dash? lmao anyways im local if you need some help or used gear... im always trading...

In my Buick Grand National...I have a single Elemental Designs 12 in a custom ported box and it sounds good...My car currently has a Monte Carlo SS steering wheel like yours but Grey...because the horn button trim was broke by a shop working on my car...and cost $80 to replace //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.